cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support from ST is dead?

PTiha
Senior

I first reported bugs related to the STM32CubeIDE SWV viewer on February 25th. No ST employees responded to it or were considered.

I also opened a topic for almost three weeks, but the result is the same: they don't even try to deal with the topic.

They seem to be trying almost exclusively to solve trivial problems that can be easily solved.

I started dealing with STM32 microcontrollers a year and a half ago, with great enthusiasm. One of the key factors was the great support.

This is exactly the biggest disappointment for me right now.

13 REPLIES 13
PTiha
Senior

KEIL MDK and IAR EWARM are proprietary tools for Windows only for horror prices.

Okay, professional tools with lots of useful features. But the world is changing and more and more companies are turning to the open source world.

I have tried both IDEs and the debug features as well as the included middleware (+ source code) are really valuable features.

Professional work requires professional tools, and large companies can pay for it.

BUT!

The code editing features of both development systems reflect the era of Windows 95-98. It is light years behind even an Eclipse or VSCode.

Many argue that proprietary compilers generate much better code than the GNU or CLang toolchain. In the case of compilers, I cannot comment because I do not have serious experience or competence. I think free compilers are evolving, and ARM itself is developing the GNU toolchain.

I basically love the STM32CubeIDE as much as I loved its predecessor - Atollic.

That’s why I’m worried about the future of the software: if what Clive1 claims is true (there’s virtually no serious developer behind the project), we can’t expect much good.

For me, this is confirmed by ST’s striking ignorance of bugs affecting the IDE.

S.Ma
Principal

Well, my 2 cents would say that if it's open source, better test with the least performing compiler (IAR to GCC caused at no optimisation debug level malfunction due to SPI and EXTI Timings between MCUs (Master and Slaves). So on compiler side, there is value to make a code work with the less performant one.

I can't comment on IDE under the hood technology, however, would we say that Android developpers IDE evolution could be inspirational? (was Eclipse in 2015, now IntelliJ... still?)

Luca1
Senior

I agree with you that the Keil and Iar IDE have an "old" UI aspect, but they are more powerfull (and more expensive) than eclipse IDE.

I haven't particular problem with the IDE,, the problem for me arise about the logic of the ST software. It can be usefull, but is too much rigid. Or you use the ST software philosophy or not use it, but if you want to use it you need to learn how to use it.. and this is not easy..

On the other hands, if you want to learn how to programm the ST microcontroller, is a bad idea to use the ST software. In this case the IDE can't help. It generate the code, or not generate nothing, so if you want to learn you need to manually configure the project and after to configure the microcontroller... 

The life is fuzzy, but if you use the ST the life is black or withe! Poor me! 🙂

I also started to learn mcu from the ccs of ti. My h743 cannot use the graph function of swv and cannot work. The waveform after adc sampling cannot be viewed. I can’t find the reason. Please ask technical support or capable people to answer my questions. Thank you very much, URL:https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000CRovkSAD