cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMCube IDE 1.16.0 - error note installing

JanneKiiskila
Associate III

When installing the latst STM32Cube IDE you get an error note, which does not however stop the installation claiming itself succesfull.

sudo /home/jannek/Downloads/st-stm32cubeide_1.16.0_21983_20240628_1741_amd64.deb_bundle.sh

terms accepted.

Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...
N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root, as file '/home/jannek/STM32CubeIDE/makeself_dir_1PdcaK/segger-jlink-udev-rules-7.96j-linux-all.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
STM32CubeIDE installed successfully

Machine info:

uname -a
Linux jannek-P720 6.8.0-40-generic #40~22.04.3-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Jul 30 17:30:19 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Is this a problem or not?

@Semer CHERNI 

3 REPLIES 3
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @JanneKiiskila 

First let me thank you for posting.

This is a known behavior and the subject of internal investigation.

However, it does not have any impact on the functionality of the product and will not cause any problem.

BR,
Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Well, turns out it does cause a  problem.
I need to support also Nordic Semiconductor chips and turns out those need also SEGGER JLINK.

The installation of those now fails and based on Segger forums - STM32Cube IDE is the reason for that.

$ sudo dpkg -i /home/jannek/Downloads/JLink_Linux_V798e_x86_64.deb
[sudo] password for jannek:
(Reading database ... 454377 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../JLink_Linux_V798e_x86_64.deb ...
Removing /opt/SEGGER/JLink ...
/opt/SEGGER/JLink not found (OK)
Unpacking jlink (7.985) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /home/jannek/Downloads/JLink_Linux_V798e_x86_64.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/etc/udev/rules.d/99-jlink.rules', which is also in package segger-jlink-udev-rules 7.96j
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/jannek/Downloads/JLink_Linux_V798e_x86_64.deb

The udev rules were removed prior to this and machine was reboot, so it is something else.

https://forum.segger.com/index.php/Thread/6318-SOLVED-Unable-to-install-Segger-JLink-on-Linux-udev-rules-error-possible-conflic/

Would it be possible for STM to simplify the problem by wholly removing the Segger JLINK installation from Cube32IDE? If someone needs/wants it - let them download & install it via the Segger installation tool? Everyone might be a tad bit happier and you would have one problem less on your side.

@Semer CHERNI 

Ok, turns out that by running this:

$ sudo dpkg -r segger-jlink-udev-rules
[sudo] password for jannek:
(Reading database ... 454373 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing segger-jlink-udev-rules (7.96j) ...
15:54 jannek@jannek-P720:/ssd/armmbedcloud/factory-tool-download$
15:54 jannek@jannek-P720:/ssd/armmbedcloud/factory-tool-download$ sudo dpkg -i /home/jannek/Downloads/JLink_Linux_V798e_x86_64.deb
(Reading database ... 454376 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../JLink_Linux_V798e_x86_64.deb ...
Removing /opt/SEGGER/JLink ...
/opt/SEGGER/JLink not found (OK)
Unpacking jlink (7.985) ...
Setting up jlink (7.985) ...
Updating udev rules via udevadm...
OK

it worked. I might now have working setup.