cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE v1.8 and Live Expressions

ivainc
Associate III

Please, help me to fix this problem: when I debugging STM32 MCU with J-Link in STM32CubeIDE v1.8 it is not possible to change the Live Expressions tab values 'on the fly' (while MCU is running). The error message is on the pic.

5 REPLIES 5
ivainc
Associate III

STM32CubeIDE tutorial say:

The variable values can be changed on the fly in the Live Expressions view while the program is running. Select the variable and change its value. It requires that only single variable name is used in the expression, and that no calculation involved.

Note: To be able to use the Live Expressions view during debug, the live expression mechanism must be enabled during startup.

This is not work for me!

TDK
Guru

It works for me with ST-Link. I imagine the issue is probably J-link specific. ST has improved the Live Expression over the last 1-2 years, probably just isn't there yet for J-link.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
ivainc
Associate III

Check the ST-Link and it is working OK! Is it a good idea to contact with Segger?

TDK
Guru

You certainly can. It's unclear if the issue is with J-Link or with how STM32CubeIDE is using it or with some third party tool integrated into Eclipse, or if it's even supported in the first place.

Changing variables mid-run is not something that is typically needed for debugging, but I can see how it may be useful in situations.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
ivainc
Associate III

I asked Segger team about. They said, it's probably STM32CubeIDE v1.8 problem, where GDB server must be updated/restored. Very disappointed with ST. Now we need a lot of time to resolve this issue...