cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE unable to debug. Error in final launch sequence, error launching GDB server

JJank
Associate II

0690X00000ARDH1QAP.pngSo, I am learning stm32 mcus, using a nucleo f4 board.

Everything was working fine and now debug launch fails.

Actually, I was doing one debug, closed it and next debug session won't launch.

Atollic TrueSTUDIO does work with the same settings (st-link gdb server in the debugger settings).

CubeIDE works in linux.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JJank
Associate II

Guys, avast antivirus deletes the st link server exe file. It is absolutely because of it.

I had to add an exception for the exe file.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JJank
Associate II

After a few reinstalls, I noticed that when the error raises, in the folder plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.stlink-gdb-server.win32_1.0.0.201904160814\tools\bin the st link server execbutable is missing.

On this fresh reinstall, I backed it up.

I'm using avast free antivirus, maybe it is giving me problems. The server is allowed in windows firewall.

JJank
Associate II

Guys, avast antivirus deletes the st link server exe file. It is absolutely because of it.

I had to add an exception for the exe file.

NChoi
Associate

I've got same problem and along with dedi1's way, finally got working set of st link with gdb.

Thanks dedi1 😉

jjank, I'd just like to thank you for making this public. I banged my head against this for a long time before finding your explanation.

I'll report it to Avast as a false positive.

Just for the mention, my stlinkserver.exe was not down among the plugins as in your case - it was in

C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\stlink_server

I have set an Avast exception for the entire C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\*

and I've made a backup of it too. However, when I tried to make a backup of the entire C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics folder,

I was unable to because Windows said that file names were too long for the destination folder.

Anyway, the stlink_server folder copied OK.

Rahul Chowdary
Associate II

Thank you guys. The solution is perfect and working 100% percent.