cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE re-install fails

willcfj
Senior

This is on a Windows platform. After some crashes (that wiped my code!), I removed and then re-installed STM32CubeIDE. After re-installing, builds don't work. Reason is there is no make executable in the IDEs search path. It is buried in the application directory, but no path to it. Quick and Dirty solution of copying the .exe to a place in the IDEs path didn't solve the issue, just got a different error.

I did delete the /ST directory too after un-installing, but still no luck getting make to work.

Potentially related, this was part of a big "get everything updated" push that included updating to latest Atollic tools (9.3.0), STM32CubeMX (5.2.1) and latest Java too.

Not very interesting, but here is the error message:

08:31:17 **** Clean-only build of configuration Debug for project CAN_Input ****
make clean 
Cannot run program "make": Launching failed

Error: Program "make" not found in PATH
PATH=[C:/ST/STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0/STM32CubeIDE/jre/bin/server;C:/ST/STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0/STM32CubeIDE/jre/bin;C:/ST/STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0/STM32CubeIDE/jre/lib/amd64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Users\willc\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;;C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0\STM32CubeIDE;]

08:31:18 Build Failed. 1 errors, 0 warnings. (took 188ms)

The make.exe file in STs directory is in C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0\STM32CubeIDE\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.make.win32_1.0.0.201904231117\tools\bin\

The only thing I haven't tried from looking at posts here is deleting the STM32CubeIDE entry in the registry.

will

17 REPLIES 17
willcfj
Senior

Dana:

OK, maybe I don't need to be quite so paranoid then. Good on the re-install fixing things. Hopefully it will stay stable.

will

PHayw.1
Associate II

I get this on Windoze with the very latest - 1.8.0 even if I add the install dir to the system path (so it shopuld be available to all users. I even created a dir in the root of C: (in case it couldn't cope with it being so long) to no avail. Nor would it work with that stub directory copied to the drive that Cube is installed on.

I don't suppose anyone has a fix or a workaround on this do they please?

willcfj
Senior

PHayw.1: The issues above were very much related to an earlier version STM32CubeIDE and resolved in Rev 1.2.0 at least for me. I've been keeping pretty current since then and never seen the issue (erasing your project on an MX compile). Not sure what changing the system path is doing.

will

I uninstalled _all_ ST stuff, deleted all projects and had a trawl through the registry and deleted anything STM32 related. Then did a re-install of Cube IDE and it seems to work now. Not overly impressed that it failed - this was an experiment to see whether we should move to Cube. I _will_ persevere though.

BTW Adding to the system path was because Cube claimed it couldn't find the make.exe and I was giving it a hint but it didn't help :( Makes one wonder what it is doing internally to _not_ find it

Just starting the IDE is painfully slow (which is also not encouraging) and that is just a combo of an editor and a project loader at that point

I've since upgraded to 1.6 (now on 1.8) and STM32CubeIDE has been working well for me (Windows 10, Windows 11 boxes).

Start-up time is a little slow, but so is every Eclipse-based IDE I've used.

Speeded up my load time 5 times by moving the install to an SSD

willcfj
Senior

Ooh, good point on SSD. I went that route 7-ish years ago when they were still small and expensive, but never regretted it. If your time is worth anything, SSDs are completely worth it--on any OS!

will

AAdam.2
Associate II

It's 2022 with version 1.9 STM32CubeIDE and there are still issues with jumping into the MXCUBE stuff (it's called Device Configuration Tool now). You add that with the touchGFX add on and let me tell you better back up everyday. I've never had a project any longer then a month that hasn't got corrupted with either this error or multiple others. Most you can fix after messing around, but some errors are a lost cause like this one