Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE how to show hints when calling function

Mykola_Levun
Associate III

Hello,

STM32CubeIDE.

Is it possible to show hints (description of the function, description of the parameters of the function, description of the return value) when calling function?

I made this function (see Figure 1) and made documenting comment. When I calling this function or I hover the cursor over the function name a tooltip with the function code pops up, but I want to see description of the function (@brief parameter from documenting comment, see Figure 1).

Figure 1

Mykola_Levun_0-1725009010067.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

It will show the comments before the function definition (not declaration), plus the function code, automatically. This is what "Combined Hover" does. Probably you don't have comments before the definition, only the declaration. Don't think you can change this behavior.

TDK_0-1725014171469.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @Mykola_Levun

I think it should be here: windows> preferences

SarraS_0-1725010658708.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello @Sarra.S,
It is not work (see Figure 2).

Figure 2

Mykola_Levun_0-1725011050616.png

When I check the box next to Documentation, then I get an error "'Documentation' hover uses the same modifier as 'Combined Hover' hover" (see Figure 2). When I uncheck the box next to Combined Hover, then there is no error, but when I calling function or I hover the cursor over the function name, there is no a tooltip.

Yes, obviously there is a conflict, since both combined hover and documentation have key modifier blank.. you should set a key modifier for one of them  

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I did it (see Figure 3), but tooltips from the documentation comment are not shown; hovering over the function name only shows the function code.

Figure 3

Mykola_Levun_0-1725014355933.png

TDK
Guru

It will show the comments before the function definition (not declaration), plus the function code, automatically. This is what "Combined Hover" does. Probably you don't have comments before the definition, only the declaration. Don't think you can change this behavior.

TDK_0-1725014171469.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hello @TDK,
Everything works as you explained. Thank you for explanation.