cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.7.0 Clean Project problem (possible BUG)

JureL
Associate III

I noticed a problem (possible BUG) with the Clean Project when working with bigger projects in STM32CubeIDE 1.7. When I try to clean project i get error: 

make -j12 clean 

make (e=206): The filename or extension is too long.

make: [makefile:169: clean] Error 206 (ignored)

I tried to build and clean the same project with STM32CubeIDE 1.6.1. In this version everything worked fine.

To reproduce this issue one can try to build and clean TouchGFX Demonstration for STM32H753G-DK board in CubeIDE version 1.7.0 (STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.9.0\Projects\STM32H735G-DK\Demonstrations\TouchGFX\)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello again @Community member​ ,

I got a tip from my colleague that there are two ways to get around the issue while the fix is being made.

WORKAROUND 1: Delete the Debug folder manually from the Project Explorer view each time a clean is needed.

WORKAROUND 2: More complex to setup but achieve exactly the same behavior as before 1.7.0.

1) Disable the default make clean call

in Project Properties > C/C++ build: uncheck the clean option and press Apply

2) Add your own clean Builder to delete the entire Debug folder as before

in Project Properties > Builders: click "New" then "Program" and fill the page with:

• [Main] location: ${stm32cubeide_make_path}/bin/rm.exe
  • [Main] arguments: -rf "${project_loc}/Debug"
  • [Refresh]: check "refresh resources.." & "project containing selected resource"
  • [Build Options]: uncheck "after clean" & "during manual build", check "during clean" press apply and ok, then apply and close.

You're done! Right click on the project and Clean to confirm the workaround.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello there!

I'm able to get the same result when using the project you mentioned.

I'll get back to you once I've done some more tests and analysis.

Hi @Markus GIRDLAND​  thank you for fast response. I think this problem comes from command-line string limitation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-client/shell-experience/command-line-string-limitation.

Seems that it's a known issue, we have a ticket for it.

We are hoping to get it fixed by next version but it's not 100% certain yet.

Hello again @Community member​ ,

I got a tip from my colleague that there are two ways to get around the issue while the fix is being made.

WORKAROUND 1: Delete the Debug folder manually from the Project Explorer view each time a clean is needed.

WORKAROUND 2: More complex to setup but achieve exactly the same behavior as before 1.7.0.

1) Disable the default make clean call

in Project Properties > C/C++ build: uncheck the clean option and press Apply

2) Add your own clean Builder to delete the entire Debug folder as before

in Project Properties > Builders: click "New" then "Program" and fill the page with:

• [Main] location: ${stm32cubeide_make_path}/bin/rm.exe
  • [Main] arguments: -rf "${project_loc}/Debug"
  • [Refresh]: check "refresh resources.." & "project containing selected resource"
  • [Build Options]: uncheck "after clean" & "during manual build", check "during clean" press apply and ok, then apply and close.

You're done! Right click on the project and Clean to confirm the workaround.

@Markus GIRDLAND​  Thank you, it's working.

BDavi.4
Associate

This is not an acceptable solution long err well even short term as to run parasoft cpptest I need make clean to work. It's 2022 and os path length issues are a known especially by us Linux developers who have to moonlight in the Windows domain.