cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.14.0 pattern recipe problem

Jan Wustrau
Associate II

Hi,

I have project for STM32F405 created manually. Project is using fixed GCC 4.92014q4.

After updating STM32CubeIDE to version 1.14.0 i got warnings shown below.

Compiler option "Cyclomatic Complexity" is disabled.

File "subdir.mk" contains this rule:

# Each subdirectory must supply rules for building sources it contributes
Src/%.o Src/%.su Src/%.cyclo: ../Src/%.c Src/subdir.mk

s1.png

How to remove this warnings?

6 REPLIES 6
Souhaib MAZHOUD
ST Employee

Hello @Jan Wustrau 

First let me thank you for reporting this issue.

I raised this internally along to our development team for fix.

Internal ticket number: 167964 is created (PS: this is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers)

Thank you,

Souhaib

Jan Wustrau
Associate II

Hello,

Is there any solution for this issue?

Oskar_H
Senior

Hello Jan,

another post relates to this topic : https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/stm32cubeide-1-14-0-flto-build-warning/td-p/614249

This bug was introduced by release 4.4 of GNU Make. Unfortunately as of today this is the latest, so you will have to wait for the official fix !

If you can't wait you can stick to a previous version available for download here.

Kraal
Senior III

Hi @Jan Wustrau ,

I also had this warning popping up after upgrading to 1.14.1 from 1.13.0, despite having compiler option "Cyclomatic Complexity" disabled just like you.

In order to get rid of it I enabled the option "Cyclomatic Complexity", and it was enough. It is NOT the solution I wanted (the subdir.mk files should be regenerated correctly when checking or unchecking the option), but it removes the warning, without (in my case) any impact on the compilation time.

By the way, have you tried to manually remove

Src/%.cyclo

from subdir.mk ?

Have a nice day.

Hi,

subdir.mk files are recreacted at each build, so manual removing this rule is not working.

Of course i tried to enable cyclomatic complexity, but i'm using old version of toolchain (2014) and this option is not supported:

arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-fcyclomatic-complexity'

My understanding is that this is not a bug introduced by the the update to Make, but an existing bug in the Makefile that is now highlighted by the new new warning Make 4.4.

The Makefile rule specifies multiple targets (the .o file and the .cyclo file).  However, when the cyclomatic complexity option is disabled, the recipe doesn't generate the .cyclo file.  Make is correctly warning you that you ran a recipie that didn't generate the target file.

When CubeIDE generates the makefile, it shouldn't include the .cyclo target if cyclomatic complexity is disabled.

In a future release of Make, this warning will be converted to an error, and CubeIDE will be unable build projects where this option has been disabled if the way the Makefiles are generated is not fixed.