cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project folder and .ioc file with different name in STM32CubeIDE

Simo_Sappo
Associate III

Hi everyone, I have question for a particular situation. Me and my collegue are working on the same project in STM32CubeIDE but something really strange is happening: On his laptop the project forlder and the .ioc file have a different name and everything is working correctly, If I try to do the same on my laptop I can't do it and if I try to open the .ioc file it says

Screenshot 2024-09-19 124415.png

The thing is, my collegue is not doing this on purpose. Is there a way to generally make it work or is it just a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Are you both using the same version of CubeIDE?

Did you both import the project into your workspaces in exactly the same way?

Maybe show screenshots of the Project Explorer window for each project?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Maybe your colleague uses standalone CubeMX? Only CubeIDE has the requirement that ,ioc file has the same name as the project (or folder).

In any case just use the standalone CubeMX (a compatible version. Several CubeMX versions can be installed side by side).

Hey, Pavel thank you for your answer but no, he uses CubeIDE and he opens the .ioc file in CubeIDE. That's why I am really curious of how he can do it and I can't (almost Jelous)

Are you both using the same version of CubeIDE?

Did you both import the project into your workspaces in exactly the same way?

Maybe show screenshots of the Project Explorer window for each project?

Karl Yamashita
Lead III

Show the screen capture of the project trees for both project.

And why would the IOC file be named differently from the Project name? Is it totally different names or does the IOC have a revision appended to the name?

Better yet, instead trying to figure why your colleague's work, just rename the IOC file to be the same as the project. Be careful of underscores and hyphens https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/nucleo-h563zi-project-from-touch-gfx-will-not-show-ioc-in/m-p/719979#M30649

If you want to rename the Project to a useful name instead of the board name then see this video https://youtu.be/AizWAlbU4Og?si=FtZQihm-bNsBpxH_

It's been years and TouchGFX team still hasn't fixed the simple naming issue. If you create an A/B project using the same board, you can only open 1 of the projects at a time because the IDE sees it as the same project. 

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. If you find my answers useful, click the accept button so that way others can see the solution.

We are both taking the project from the same git folder and have the same workspace, it's just that on his laptop he can have the project folder named "Firmware" and .ioc is a complete different name. If I try to open it on my laptop I have to change the .ioc name to be able to open it. We are trying to avoid naming problem in the future, that's why we are trying to solve this issue. 

So, in the end my collegue was not importing stuff into the workspace the same way I do. But the differences are pretty strange, I will explain what was happening:

- I was using a parent folder of the git as my workspace (this parent folder was never committed, just its content) and I was having the problem because the project folder name was not changing and neither is the .ioc. The project folder is called "Firmware" and it was staying like that while the .ioc had a different name.

- He was using as his workspace a separate folder in which he was importing the project folder, this way the folder "Firmware" was changing its name automatically to the same name as the .ioc file while having a yellow parenthesis on the side with "in Firmware" written in it. This solves our naming issue but I still don't understand why. Anyway, thank to everybody!

@Simo_Sappo wrote:

it's just that on his laptop he can have the project folder named "Firmware" and .ioc is a complete different name.  

The name of the folder in the host filesystem doesn't have to be the same as the name of the Project within the IDE.

The Project tree structure within the IDE does not necessarily map directly to the folders in the host filesystem.