cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG! What have you done?

14 REPLIES 14
Trevor Jones
Senior

I hope you can work with the tools you have.

Visual Studio does make it work with single stepping, requires GDB, but easy to use with the cube.

The minimal support from this site does work... special thanks to @clive1​ , JW and AVI_Crack

we all have to work for each project...

Not sure anyone at ST is listening... too busy selling millions of products to major players, as you would...

What is your exact issue apart from the IDE ?

Your message is very contradictory. You cannot say at the same time that Keil or IAR are not fancy enough and that you prefer simple engineering without useless features ! TrueStudio (and Eclipse in general) is incredibly complicated, menus everywhere (some of them not working), you often spend minutes just to find where to modify a setting. And at the end, I didn't find exactly what features it brings that IAR / Keil don't have.

Amen to that ...

> I found the UI of Keil and IAR to be clunky, almost terminal like, from oh so long ago. TrueStudio was fresh, modern, and intuitive as well as offered various options to customize it for my way of working.

I use to compare this to the interior of a car. Dull or colorful and freaky - after a few hours you get use to it, and you look out through the windshield most of the time anyway.

I came to value consistenty and functionality higher then "modernity & freshness".

> Your cell phone, has hundreds of features you and everyone else will never use. Those features are not there because customers identified them as need to have, they are there because they can.

I'd say, these features are there because the competitor has it, too. Or just to have something (anything) competing devices don't have.

And it seems this sector is not immune to that line of thinking at all.

I guess my experiences with IAR and Keil are coloured by my lack of familiarity with the tools due to my limited use, and I'll leave it at that.