cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help spinning up an old project

TomC1
Associate II

Hi all,

I've been tasked with making some changes to an existing STM32 project. Unfortunately my predecessor was not keen on documentation, so I don't have much guidance on how the project was built in the past.

I have pulled the project from our SVN server and imported it into STM32CubeIDE (v1.15.0) without errors. When I attempt to build the project I get the following:

12:59:49 **** Build of configuration Default for project APM ****

make all

Cannot run program "make": Launching failed

Error: Program "make" not found in PATH

PATH=[C:/ST/STM32CubeIDE_1.15.0/STM32CubeIDE//plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.jre.win64_3.1.0.202310310920/jre/bin/server;C:/ST/STM32CubeIDE_1.15.0/STM32CubeIDE//plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.jre.win64_3.1.0.202310310920/jre/bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\stlink_server;C:\ST\STM32CubeCLT_1.15.0;C:\ST\STM32CubeCLT_1.15.0\CMake\bin;C:\ST\STM32CubeCLT_1.15.0\Ninja\bin;C:\ST\STM32CubeCLT_1.15.0\GNU-tools-for-STM32\bin;C:\ST\STM32CubeCLT_1.15.0\STLink-gdb-server\bin;C:\ST\STM32CubeCLT_1.15.0\STM32CubeProgrammer\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\170\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\PuTTY\;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Users\tcarney\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;;C:\Dev\MOT-APM\APM;]

12:59:49 Build Failed. 1 errors, 0 warnings. (took 103ms)

However I am not sure where this PATH variable is held. The project properties shows nothing at all under 'Build Variables' and under 'Envoronment' only shows CWD and PWD.

I have tried changing the build command from default to 'C:\projects\compilers\GnuWin32\bin\make.exe' where I know that the GNU make executable exists, and then I get the following:

13:07:04 **** Build of configuration Default for project APM ****

"C:\\projects\\compilers\\GnuWin32\\bin\\make.exe" all

The system cannot find the path specified.

make: *** [gccversion] Error 1

"C:/projects/compilers/GnuWin32/bin/make.exe all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

13:07:04 Build Failed. 1 errors, 0 warnings. (took 228ms)

Could anyone offer any suggestion regarding next steps that I might try to get this project to build?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@TomC1 wrote:

I have pulled the project from our SVN server and imported it into STM32CubeIDE (v1.15.0)

How, exactly, did you do that?

Does your STM32CubeIDE (v1.15.0) installation work with other projects?

Thanks for the reply. This is the method that I used:

• I used tortoise svn to checkout the project to a folder on my C drive. 
  • I opened STM32CubeIDE using the same folder as the checkout as a workspace.
  • Went to [File] -> [Import] 
  • In the dialog, selected [General] -> [Existing Projects into Workspace] 
  • In the 'Import Projects' dialog, the Project was available in the 'Projects' box, so I selected it and clicked 'Finish'

My installation of STM32CubeIDE does indeed work for other projects.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

The PATH in your error message looks unusual, it suggests that there's some conflict between STM32CubeCLT and CubeIDE. By default, CubeIDE (managed CDT builder) uses the make utility installed in on its "plugin" packages, and fixes the PATH automatically to contain all needed tools. This is why you don't need to specify anything in the environment manually.

If your CubeIDE works for other projects, try to inspect the env. variables in your project and remove bad stuff.

The PATH for should be under "Environment Variables" in Windows Settings

Does the PATH described here contain a directory actually holding MAKE.EXE ?

Look at your system and confirm where this is situated, and then make sure the variable reflect that, so they can find it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..