cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing example projects into CUBEIDE and using the CUBEMX view

Cfera.1
Associate II

So the question is:

Whats the best way to import an example project into CUBEIDE and have access to the CUBEMX view?

Background:

I want to use one of the STM32 examples with CUBEIDE. Specifically the example is "LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS". Anyways I am able to import the project into cube IDE and run the project in the debugger with a couple of really minor fixes. This does not produce the IOC file that can be opened in the CUBEMX view.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

If your board is known to CubeMX (or CubeIDE), it can produce at least partial .ioc file for it. This is already very useful.

Unfortunately, it is well known that CubeMX/IDE templates do not work well with Ethernet and LwIP.

You may need to manually merge relevant parts from the examples into code generated by CubeMX/IDE from .ioc,

YMMV.

As you have already found, .ioc files are not required for CubeIDE. It works with any project, created manually or generated by Cube or imported from other Eclipse-like IDE.

-- pa

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
berendi
Principal

Maybe there was no .ioc file at all. There are still some people around who can write software the traditional way, i.e. typing text into an editor.

STM32CubeMX and its .ioc files cover only a small subset of possible configurations and use cases, maybe it's not even possible to create an .ioc representation of this example.

I work with allot of people old enough to have written software the traditional way, i.e. on paper because no one would let you development on computer when an organization only had 1 or 2. Clearly anyone that doesn't write code on paper first before trying it on a processor is a hack.

Why answer the question just to grandstand about what tools someone chooses to use. I think I explicitly states than an IOC file does not exist and I am looking for a way to back create one without having to hand roll it.

I try to put it another way then.

CubeMX generates C source from .ioc files. It might be theoretically possible to reverse the process as long as the sources are indeed generated by CubeMX, but no tool has been published yet which can do that.

Creating an .ioc file from arbitrary source code is in an entirely different class of problems. Sometimes it is just a tough case of the decision problem, sometimes it is simply not possible at all, because there are some valid peripheral settings that can't be represented in CubeMX. This is not a statement against CubeMX, or your decision to use it, just as every single software tool in the world, CubeMX has its limitations.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

If your board is known to CubeMX (or CubeIDE), it can produce at least partial .ioc file for it. This is already very useful.

Unfortunately, it is well known that CubeMX/IDE templates do not work well with Ethernet and LwIP.

You may need to manually merge relevant parts from the examples into code generated by CubeMX/IDE from .ioc,

YMMV.

As you have already found, .ioc files are not required for CubeIDE. It works with any project, created manually or generated by Cube or imported from other Eclipse-like IDE.

-- pa

CubeMX is not "just a tool" - it implies that you are using ST's provided code in your firmware. You can choose anything you want, but be warned that by using ST's provided code you'll not be able to build a quality (or probably working at all) product. Especially if it involves Ethernet, USB or Cortex-M7...

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BOtfhnSQB/how-to-make-ethernet-and-lwip-working-on-stm32

Not everyone has the same expectations or requirements. I don't make consumer products. My STM projects are for one of or short run tests or demonstrations. Saving a few hours of labor is generally preferred to having a slightly better end product when that product is only going to be used for a week and is peripheral to rather than being the focus of the end project.

I have a problem with httpd . I use cubeIDE how can i fixe the problem

thanx for your reply

@NKhou.1​ Can you open a new thread, please?

And provide details.