cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't install ide cube on ubuntu 24

yogui_ricardo
Associate II

When I try to install it I get this error: "The following packages have unmet dependencies:
st-stm32cubeide-1.16.1 : Depends: libncurses5 but is not installable
Depends: libpython2.7 but is not installable
Depends: libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 but is not installable"
any ideas? thanks in advance

17 REPLIES 17

Hi,

Try the generic version of 1.16.0, then update through CubeIDE's updater. That worked for me on Tumbleweed.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards
Pedro

AI = Artificial Intelligence, NI = No Intelligence, RI = Real Intelligence.

Hi,

Good news that can work, maybe something slightly different create the issue for me and a lot of people...

Which distribution of Linux are you using ?

Indeed, I already tried 1.16.0 before, 'arm-none-eabi-gdb' also requires libncurses5 (thus very specific version of it which doesn't really make sense for me). I tried 1.16.1 hopping it would had been fixed.

I see two solutions, get a newer generic 'arm-none-eabi-gdb' and replaced it in STMCubeIDE.

Use Archlinux... which integrate a packet creating a compatibility layer between libncurses5 and libncurses6, but I tend to avoid using Archlinux on my work computer.

Initially I had to migrate from the previous Ubuntu LTS to newer for very complex issues with Virtual Box...

Best regards.

--
More than a few hundred uA it's way too much... let's keep it under 10 uA or so please...

PS: my system has NCURSES 5 installed...

Thanks PGump.1, that's indeed a very logical way for it to work... it's the third option.

I really want to avoid adding manually a deprecated lib (libncurses 6 exists since more or less 2018, and 6.1 date back 2020 so it's quite logical to deprecated libncurses 5).

--
More than a few hundred uA it's way too much... let's keep it under 10 uA or so please...

@ValereAq  I have had my system for a few years. I can't remember ever installing NCURSES 5. My system must have evolved that way...

Good luck.

Kind regards
Pedro

aerobiotic
Associate

Because Ubuntu 24.04 doesn't have those library versions. The best thing would be for ST to rebuild the tools for the 24.04 version of Ubuntu.  I got the same error on my new Ubuntu 24.04 installation. Luckily, I have another machine with the previous LTS version of Ubuntu (22.04 Jammy Jellyfish). The STM32VCubeIDE install worked fine there. I used the Linux zip and not the deb file. I don't have any reason to believe that the deb version would not work on 22.04 ... I just have not tried it. 

George Eliozov
Associate II

A quick temporary solution, tested on arm-none-eabi-gdb:

# create local path to store softlink to ncurses6, avoid sudo, also doesn't introduce 
# files into a system directory
mkdir -p ~/path/to/some/dir
cd ~/path/to/some/dir
# whole idea is to make soft links libncursesw.so.5 -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncursesw.so.6
# check the version installed in your system-wide ncurses library 
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.6 libtinfo.so.5
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncursesw.so.6 libncursesw.so.5

# try to execute, should work
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/path/to/some/dir arm-none-eabi-gdb 

# to make systemwide, add LD_LIBRARY_PATH to your startup script, eg ~/.profile
# do not forget to substitute '~' with $HOME
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/path/to/some/

I didn't found a proper code highlight for SH script so used a python, should be readable...

ciao

I tried your code but it doesn't find the directory it gives me the following error

:~/path/to/some/dir$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/path/to/some/dir arm-none-eabi-gdb 
arm-none-eabi-gdb: comando non trovato