cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I debug a Nucleo H7A3 with an Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H debugger

magene
Senior II

I’m trying to see if I can debug a STM Nucelo H7A3 with an Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H debugger. I’m have the debugger connected to the Nucelo with the Olimex ARM-JTAG-SWD and ARM-JTAG-20-10. Is there a way to tell l STM32CubeIDE to use the Olimex debugger? I did try with VisualGDB connected to the Nucleo but I get this error when I try to download and debug and the same error when I test the connection during project setup. 

Error: Error connecting DP: cannot read IDR

I’ve been trying to get some help from Olimex but it looks like they don’t have anymore suggestions to offer. I’m hoping someone else has used the Olimex debugger on a STM32 Nucleo or other SMT32 development board and that there’s an easy answer before I have to invest in the significantly more expensive Segger debugger. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Why not a much less expensive ST-LINK?

H7A is a relatively new product, maybe the OpenOCD shipped with the Olimex debugger does not know it yet.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Why not a much less expensive ST-LINK?

H7A is a relatively new product, maybe the OpenOCD shipped with the Olimex debugger does not know it yet.

I'm using the Nucleo for prototyping while we're designing a custom board using the H7A3 and it looks to me like there's a lot of hardware, including another uController, on the Nucleo board to support ST-Link. I'm googling to see if there's a simple ST-Link design now and if you have any suggestions where to look, I'd appreciate it.

magene
Senior II

@Pavel A.​ ST-Link looks like a really good solution. Unfortunately, it seems to have really long lead time for every variation everywhere in the world. I'll check with ST on Monday to see what they say.

Thanks for the suggestion

The F723 implements a ST-LINK/V3, and provides a clock source

User board designs typically just provide a JTAG/SWD connector, or breakout the debug pins.

Perhaps look at CMSIS-DAP ?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

@Community member​  Our custom board breaks out the debug pins to a JTAG/SWD connector exactly (or at least hopefully) just the like the schematic ST provides for the Nucleo H7A3. Given that the Nucelo has ST-LINK/V3 on the board and it works seamlessly with both the IDEs I use (VisualGDB and STM32CubeIDE) with no effort on my part, the STM-Link hardware seems like a good fit for my application. STM sells a STLINK-V3MINIE or -V3MODS that I can just solder on our custom board and the STLINK-V3SET for desktop use. If I could find a place to buy any of those anywhere on the planet, I'll give them a whirl.

Thanks, I always find your input valuable.

Another advantage of ST-LINK is that it works with all ST software tools.

CubeProgrammer does not work with J-Link.