cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone made Parasoft c/c++test work with STM32cubeIDE

Glen Larson
Associate II

I've been using Parasoft C/C++test for Eclipse for static analysis and unit testing on AC6 System Workbench. I've ported the STM32 MCU software to STM32cubeIDE and now the Parasoft tools refuse to install. They report "Eclipse not found" after corectly selection the installation directory for cubeIDE. I contacted Parasoft support and they said "too bad. It's not supported."

I've tried renaming the exe's to eclipse*.exe and a few similar changes. The Parasoft logs give nothing about the issues.

I was thinking to hack the bits from the System Workbench installation but it needs to be repeatable by other team members.

Any ideas appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

I don't know that product, but is it tied to Eclipse? Isn't there a command-line version?

JW

Glen Larson
Associate II

There is a stand-alone version but I've been using the version that integrates into Eclipse. Took about 6 man-months to test 10,000 SLOC. It's a highly effective unit test tool and is fully integrated into Eclipse. I'm using the static analysis (MISRA, etc.) , too. There's a suite of quality tools in the product but we're just using those two parts..

I wouldn't be surprised if no one has made this work and I should file a bug on cubeIDE. This might not be the only Eclipse add-in that's broken with it.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

YMMV

JW

Glen Larson
Associate II

Let me follow up with a new problem.

After discarding the idea of using Parasoft C/C++Test with Stm32cubeIDE a few years back, I tried it again with cubeIDE 1.14.0 and it worked. It does the static analysis and the unit test support works fine. It will build the unit tests using the gcc toolchain and those are all running great.

The problem now is trying to automate the SA/UT work. This is being done from some Makefile scripts. This is not working as the STM32cubeIDE java cannot find the right java scripts as it is loading them up to perform the build natures. The environment is very complicated and super clever. The Parasoft toolchain provides its own program (cpptestcli.exe) to replace the initial eclipsec.exe as the command-line entry point. That program find the java scripts inside the eclipse distribution to find the projects and files and then kick off the Parasoft tools, that are installed into the Eclipse distribution, to perform static analysis and build the unit tests.

Apparently, the STM32cubeIDE entry program is setting up some internal paths to use when searching for the java code. The higher-level parts of Eclipse CDT work fine but when trying to load the project nature (it seems) there's a breakdown.

Any ideas on how to point the java code custom for STM32cibeIDE to the right locations for its own java code? Is there a way to add the project natures ("GNU Tools for STM32") to another Eclipse version? I suspect that second approach doesn't fix anything as it's the "nature" code that is broken.

Here's an error from not finding the plugins that is stymieing the work. The files are all in the installation directory.

!ENTRY com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.launch.oss 2 0 2024-02-24 10:33:03.746
!MESSAGE Could not resolve module: com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.launch.oss [45]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.productdb.core
-> Export-Package: com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.productdb.core; bundle-symbolic-name="com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.productdb"; bundle-version="2.2.0.202311191741"; version="0.0.0"
com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.productdb [79]
Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.registry
-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.equinox.registry; bundle-version="3.11.300.v20230801-1826"; singleton:="true"
org.eclipse.equinox.registry [318]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.core.runtime.jobs; resolution:="optional"
-> Export-Package: org.eclipse.core.runtime.jobs; bundle-symbolic-name="org.eclipse.core.jobs"; bundle