cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FatFS missing on STM32 CubeIDE for STM32U595VJT6

richard-nuvetech
Associate II

I am considering the STM32U595VJT6 for use in an upcoming design, and found that when I looked on STM32CubeIDE that the FatFS Middleware is missing. Is this something that can be added to the project? Or is there a better alternative for interfacing with an SD card? I find it odd that this chip with 2 SDIO doesn't support FatFS on the IDE yet.

On another note, I have tried to copy the included files from another project where FatFS worked, but I get an error that MX_FATFS_Init() is undefined. I have included my code below, where I have made clear #include for the fatfs.h and I've made sure to include the path for these files in compiler include paths. I thought that including the path would fix it but it didn't. I was able to fix it by moving all the c and h files into the Inc and Src folders. What is the correct method of including a new path? And would this method work with the actual MCU? I don't have one here to test if this works.

Shown below is a picture of the Include Paths that I defined (the three FatFS paths):

richardnuvetech_0-1704277055456.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No - i just try new U595 project, can select FileX  ( the part of Azure you need for FAT on SD..)

AScha3_0-1704286179514.png

and ThreadX , if you want (= Azure rtos )

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AScha.3
Chief II

STM is forcing us to use Azure/rtos with Filex to have FAT access to SD or USB MSC on new series,  like H5 etc.

But you can use still , what you want, just more work to get it ;  see:

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/stm32h5-classic-coremw-apps

• Third parties' stacks: FreeRTOS, FatFS, and LwIP

+

If you want "copy" something to new project , use "import" :

- (menu) or mouse right click on your new project folder -> import.. -> file system -> from directory ...

select source dir , type of .c (or .h ) , destination -> into folder ....

and then same for .h files .

Then the IDE "knows" about, these files are in this new project now. (copied).

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

MX_FATFS_Init() is undefined

This function is generated by the Cube where the FATFS component is available. You can write your own.

What is the correct method of including a new path?

Please refer to the CubeIDE user guide, it explains this.

Thank you AScha.3

I have looked into using the Azure RTOS but that is also not supported for STM32U5 boards. FreeRTOS is there, but not Azure RTOS. I have found Azure RTOS in the Software Packs Component Selector, but they seem to be for specific series, such as the F4 F7 L4 H7 etc.

No - i just try new U595 project, can select FileX  ( the part of Azure you need for FAT on SD..)

AScha3_0-1704286179514.png

and ThreadX , if you want (= Azure rtos )

That is it, thank you so much! I was misunderstanding what you meant but it is clear now. Much appreciated