cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging Nucleo-F401RE with st-link

VZerb.1
Associate II

I am trying to debug a a nucleo-F401RE with the st-link. About a week ago, it was fine and the code uploaded. I had made it so that the LED on the F401RE turned on and off when I pushed down and released the push button. I came back to it yesterday to work on more after I got parts to do other stuff.

I simply tried to reupload the code to turn the LED on and off with the pushbutton again, but it failed and I began getting many errors. Some about trying to join a joined drive, and this one below. I searched all over and could not find a solution. I upgraded CubeIDE to 1.5 but that didn't help. I tried to delete everything and redownload both versions of cubeIDE again. Now I am just getting this error:

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to execute MI command:

target remote localhost:61234

Error message from debugger back end:

Remote communication error. Target disconnected.: Success.

Failed to execute MI command:

target remote localhost:61234

Error message from debugger back end:

Please let me know what to try next. Sorry if I haven't provided enough info. Please let me know if I should provide any other details. I am new to this.

11 REPLIES 11
VZerb.1
Associate II

I am updated. The read out protection state was set to 0, but I set it to AA which says is no protection (same as 0). The write protections were all unchecked so I checked them all to disable protection. I tried to do the mass erase but the LED on the st link just keeps doing its flashing red and blue indicating it is transferring info. It just does this continuously but I would cancel it because it was taking so long. Is it supposed to take a long time?

Could you explain how to check the voltages VCAP, GND, VDD, and VDDA, and BOOT pins? I don't see them on the st link or board, but are they in the chart for the board?

@LaurentL​ 

Thank you for your help.

LaurentL
ST Employee

Hi,

Reading again your previous posts, there is one sentence that I don't like: Error: ST-LINK error (DEV_TARGET_HELD_UNDER_RESET)

So, there is an issue with Reset Line.

Did you change some jumpers on the nucleo ?

Or did someone else played with your board ?

For the pins to check, since it is a Nucleo board and not a hand made design, it should be ok.

You can find the schematic on ST web site though.

Maybe start the board with boot0 pin (should be available on nucleo pin header) to start in bootloader mode.

Then, you can connect and reprogram option bytes.

Removing Read out protection will do a mass erase so it can take a few seconds.

But first, check the Reset pin with a voltmeter, it should not be stuck to 0.

Rgds,

Laurent