cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE (1.11.0) Debug Error (no st-link detected). Debugging via Keil works fine.

CBoyr.1
Associate

Hello,

I am having a problem with CubeIDE (1.11.0). I hope you can help me.

Although I didn't encounter any issue with Keil uvision, I keep getting the "no st-link detected" error when trying to debug through the CubeIDE.

I am not using the ST-Link/V2.

Instead, I use stm32vldiscovery to program the blue pill (f103c8..) via SWD connector on the discovery board.

As I mentioned, I have no problem with programming the blue pill on Keil, but whenever I want to switch to CubeIDE, I can't go any further.

Could you help me, please?

Best Regards,

Caner

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @CBoyr.1​ and welcome to the Community 🙂

The STM32VLdiscovery is an old board which contains the ST-LINK/V1 and is not supported by CubeIDE.

Would recommend getting another board. A possible option could be to use external debug probe and connect it on the 4-pin SWD header. Have a look at this post (for more details)

Hope that this answered your question.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

This is why Keil is worth the money. It's solid, it works.

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @CBoyr.1​ and welcome to the Community 🙂

The STM32VLdiscovery is an old board which contains the ST-LINK/V1 and is not supported by CubeIDE.

Would recommend getting another board. A possible option could be to use external debug probe and connect it on the 4-pin SWD header. Have a look at this post (for more details)

Hope that this answered your question.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Thank you @Imen DAHMEN​ 🙏

I appreciate your help. It worked.

I'd like to add a few more details on exactly how it worked for my case, just in case someone encounters a similar issue.

There isn't much to be done for the blue pill board. The 4 male pins on the edge of the board need to be connected to the corresponding pins in st-link/v2.

For stm32vldiscovery, after connecting the SWCLK, SWDIO and GND pins with st-link/v2, I made the 4th connection as 5V - 5V. To see where these pins are on the board, its user manual should be checked. It can be found quickly by typing swd into the search.

Updating the debugger can be attempted if there are problems doing it this way for the first time. This can be done by running the ST-LinkUpgrade.exe file from C:\Keil_v5\ARM\STLink (unlikely, but this path may vary for you) or with st-link utility-> st-link-> firmware upgrade. If it gives an error for Device Update, try removing it from the computer and plugging it back in, and there will be no problem.

Important note, because I wanted to program the blue pill with stm32vldiscovery, I had already removed the jumpers on the CN3. If you have gone through such a process, you may have forgotten to put the jumpers back on. I also wanted to point this out.

Even if you go to the options for the target section on Keil, debug-> settings (next to the st-link debugger), you will see that the device name is grayed out in the SW device section of the window that opens, according to the status of the jumpers in CN3 and CN2.

best wishes,

Caner

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hi @CBoyr.1​ 

Glad to hear you made it work 🙂 and thanks for sharing the details with the community here, so that more members can benefit from this discussion.

Imen

Thanks
Imen