cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install stm32cube_fw_f4_v1261.zip Error downloading files: (Target directory already exists). Multi year stm32cube bug is still not fixed. Updated previously documented workaround method for this particular firmware update. ARG!

Beachmiles
Associate III

This error message is false since the zip file downloads but errors during extraction.

The folder inside stm32cube_fw_f4_v1261.zip is STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.26.0 which I had already manually installed.

So I guessed and changed the subfolder name for v1261 from STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.26.0 to

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.26.1.

My STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.26.1 folder is only 17.6MB where the previous release of STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.26.0 is 1.68 GB. So it seems like both packages need to be combined and only keep the newer 1.26.1 files? So I copied the files from the previous 1.26.0 release into the STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.26.1 folder then overwrote any files found in the 1.26.1 release folder to see if that helped.

And it did. Now Stm32cubeIde appears happy and reported 1.26.1 was installed.

Please for the love of god fix this!! Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Fact is STM32Cube ecosystem is not sensitive if Firmware packs to directory name.

Important metadata is package.xml file at package root. If F4 I'm getting myself:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>

<Package DBVersion="2.0">

<PackDescription Release="FW.F4.1.26.0" Patch="FW.F4.1.26.1">

<Note Release="ReleaseNotes.html" Patch="ReleaseNotes_Patch.html"/>

</PackDescription>

</Package>

Here you can see pack base is 1.26.0 one then a patch on top of which is 1.26.1.

Because patch mechanism you've done right process means base relase install first then override based on patch. Process is quite nice has pack base is quite often a bit heavy sounds good to get patch only then to get bug fixes & improvements.

Another way to work is to rely on GitHub deliveries done by ST ... up to you to clone :-)