cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner with STM32CubeIDE (1.8.0) installed (on Windows) and STM32F0DISCOVERY, want open/import "blink the LED" type example.

wb0gaz
Senior

Completed firmware update at Help > ST-LINK Upgrade, so STM32CubeIDE is communicating with STM32F0DISCOVERY module.

Now trying find a most-basic example (for example, the firmware present in the STM32F0DISCOVERY board would be a good start - blink LED and monitor for button press, but open to anything that's stand-alone and doesn't require test equipment to verify operation, so thinking blink the LED would be a good start.

In STM32CubeIDE, I started at Information Center, selected "STM32 Project from STM32Cube examples", completed MCU/MPU Selector (STM32F058R8) and Board selector (STM32F0DISCOVERY), but I don't think the Example Selector is paring down the list to compatible examples - 6164 items in list for the universe of Boards and Board types, the few LED toggling examples don't target the intended CPU/Discovery type.

Would be grateful for rudimentary get-started advice (either how to proceed or what to read so I can proceed on my own.)

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
wb0gaz
Senior

Got far enough along that I now have something working.

In a nutshell, it appears STM32F0Discovery is a generation old (not a "nucleo" board) and isn't directly supported in STM32CubeIDE's examples.

The STM32F0Discovery is a STLinkV2 attached to a CPU and a few small parts, so just regrouped and focused on blinking LED on STM32F051R8T CPU using the STM32F0Discovery manual's schematic to identify the pins involved. This was successful thanks to the step-by-step on wiki.st.com.

The step-by-step (URL below) provided a total-beginner introduction to stm32cubeMX; following the step-by-step resulted in a project sent to stm32cubeIDE which (after the small edits to make the LEDs blink) compiled and is now running.

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mcu/wiki/STM32StepByStep:Step2_Blink_LED

I'm glad to see you've got something started. Hopefully you can expand upon the project and create something fun!

Also glad to hear that the mcu wiki is being helpful!

wb0gaz
Senior

Thank you Markus.

The MCU Wiki and STM32CUBE IDE (along with quick answers to occasional questions I've posted here) have both made the total-cold-start phase much faster than I originally expected (I am new to STM32 and ARM, but not to microprocessors).

By now I have (using STM32CUBE MX to provide example initialization code) a rudimentary hex monitor working without HAL or lower level functions (as I will be working, by choice, with some very low-pin-count STM32 devices where memory is at premium).

Thanks again,

Dave