cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before I can compile, the IDE forces me to download v1.17.2, but when I go to the website, the latest is v1.17.0. How can I get around this?

NRatz.2
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NRatz.2
Associate II

Finally discovered what the problem was, and two solutions. The problem is that the STM32Cube MX automatic updater specifies the patch version, but the latest available one online is labeled (file-named) for the base version, which has a lower value than the patch. I believe this is a program bug that needs to be addressed.

One solution was given by Pavel, and I used that first. It was to download the two files (base and patch) separately, then rename them to fit the updater. That worked.

The second solution (which I like better) is that one person online said there's a flag set to "automatically update before building" and I found that and un-checked it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Bob S
Principal

Forcing you to download v1.17.2 of WHAT? The CubeMX package for your CPU? If so, which CPU? Is there perhaps a "patch" update from 1.17.0 to 1.17.2?

NRatz.2
Associate II

CubeMX of L432. If there's a patch update, why doesn't the IDE updater download it?

Thanks,

Noji

Bob S
Principal

I *GUESS* that, while the IDE knows there is a new version available, it doesn't want to automatically install because you may have other dependencies on specific versions. And for me this is OK as I really hate it when tools "automatically" update things and screw with my build environment.

So you need to go into the CubeMX "Install/Remove embedded software packages" menu (or the equivalent when running CubeMX inside CubeIDE) and manually install the update. WARNING: CubeL4 ver 1.17.2 is a PATCH update. Installing it will modify your existing CubeL4 1.17.0 directory tree and change it into 1.17.2.

The patch just replaces some portions of the major release.

Perhaps the IDE also needs updating?

I'm not tied into using CubeMX / IDE so not sure at what level this is aware and flagging that it needs the new release/patch.

Historically CubeMX has hidden things it can't use, so update it first.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

If the IDE does not install 1.17.2, you can download it from github and install in a directory with suitable name. Then open the firmware package manager and verify that it sees the new version. The version is in file package.xml in the root.

NRatz.2
Associate II

Finally discovered what the problem was, and two solutions. The problem is that the STM32Cube MX automatic updater specifies the patch version, but the latest available one online is labeled (file-named) for the base version, which has a lower value than the patch. I believe this is a program bug that needs to be addressed.

One solution was given by Pavel, and I used that first. It was to download the two files (base and patch) separately, then rename them to fit the updater. That worked.

The second solution (which I like better) is that one person online said there's a flag set to "automatically update before building" and I found that and un-checked it.