cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32mp1 reading the reset status watchdog driver

Ara.1
Senior

Hi

In my application we need to read the last rest status, whether its a POR or WDOG

ret = ioctl(wdog, WDIOC_GETBOOTSTATUS, &status);

looks like this support is not available in

drivers/watchdog/stm32_iwdg.c

can anyone tell me how add a patch in stm32mp1 board ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin HUBER
ST Employee

Hi @Ara.1​ 

Since your need seems to know if the last reset occurs because of POR of WDOG, something else seems more adapted to you.

I advise you to take a look in the sources of the TF-A at the function: "print_reset_reason"

This function is available in the file "plat/st/stm32mp1/bl2_plat_setup.c" and displays the reason of the reset by reading the register RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR

static void print_reset_reason(void)
{
	uint32_t rstsr = mmio_read_32(stm32mp_rcc_base() + RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR);

if (rstsr == 0U) {
		WARN("Reset reason unknown\n");
		return;
	}

INFO("Reset reason (0x%x):\n", rstsr);
	if ((rstsr & RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR_PADRSTF) == 0U) {
		if ((rstsr & RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR_STDBYRSTF) != 0U) {
			INFO("System exits from STANDBY\n");
			return;
		}

This register is accessible from application, so you can read its value.

To make a test on your board, you can try to read the register by using devmem. Details to install and use it are on the wiki: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_read_or_write_peripheral_registers#Installing_Devmem_on_your_target_board

The address to read is the one read in "print_reset_reason",

stm32mp_rcc_base() + RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR

on my board STM32MP157F-DK2 with the developer package, the address is:

#define RCC_BASE			U(0x50000000)

+

#define RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR			U(0x408)

So the final address is 0x5000408

Once you use devmem, you get the value like this:

0693W00000FA7qnQAD.png 

Then you interpret this value by using the reference manual that details all the possible values: https://www.st.com/resource/en/reference_manual/rm0436-stm32mp157-advanced-armbased-32bit-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf#page=996

Hope it help you,

Regards,

Kevin

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ara.1
Senior

any one faced this scenario ?

Kevin HUBER
ST Employee

Hi @Ara.1​ 

Since your need seems to know if the last reset occurs because of POR of WDOG, something else seems more adapted to you.

I advise you to take a look in the sources of the TF-A at the function: "print_reset_reason"

This function is available in the file "plat/st/stm32mp1/bl2_plat_setup.c" and displays the reason of the reset by reading the register RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR

static void print_reset_reason(void)
{
	uint32_t rstsr = mmio_read_32(stm32mp_rcc_base() + RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR);

if (rstsr == 0U) {
		WARN("Reset reason unknown\n");
		return;
	}

INFO("Reset reason (0x%x):\n", rstsr);
	if ((rstsr & RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR_PADRSTF) == 0U) {
		if ((rstsr & RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR_STDBYRSTF) != 0U) {
			INFO("System exits from STANDBY\n");
			return;
		}

This register is accessible from application, so you can read its value.

To make a test on your board, you can try to read the register by using devmem. Details to install and use it are on the wiki: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_read_or_write_peripheral_registers#Installing_Devmem_on_your_target_board

The address to read is the one read in "print_reset_reason",

stm32mp_rcc_base() + RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR

on my board STM32MP157F-DK2 with the developer package, the address is:

#define RCC_BASE			U(0x50000000)

+

#define RCC_MP_RSTSCLRR			U(0x408)

So the final address is 0x5000408

Once you use devmem, you get the value like this:

0693W00000FA7qnQAD.png 

Then you interpret this value by using the reference manual that details all the possible values: https://www.st.com/resource/en/reference_manual/rm0436-stm32mp157-advanced-armbased-32bit-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf#page=996

Hope it help you,

Regards,

Kevin

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

Olivier GALLIEN