cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is byte lane swapping in 16x bit DDR3 RAM possible?

FWebe.3
Associate

Hello,

I read the AN5122 which explains in chapter 4.2, that the RAM lane byte 0 must be connected to byte 0 of the MP1 and that the bits swapping is not possible.

However on the EV1 board, the bits inside byte 0 lane are swapped. Furthermore, i do not know how to identify byte 0 at the ram chip, since i want to use two of them.

For the design I am working on, I need 1GB DDR3L RAM, split in two 512MB RAM chips. In the AN I found this picture:

0693W000008xMR9QAM.pngI'd like to place the two chips next to each other, using STM32MP1's Byte 2 / Byte 0 for chip 1 and Byte 1 / Byte 3 for chip 2.

Is this possible to do?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

AN5122 section 4 is for LPDDR2 or LPDDR3.

For DDR3 and DDR3L, please look at section 3.

I confirm that for DDR3 or DDR3L, as stated in AN5122, byte swap is allowed as well as bit swap within a byte.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

AN5122 section 4 is for LPDDR2 or LPDDR3.

For DDR3 and DDR3L, please look at section 3.

I confirm that for DDR3 or DDR3L, as stated in AN5122, byte swap is allowed as well as bit swap within a byte.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Alex - APMemory
Senior II

Hi 

by the way, if any PCB limitation, you can also use 1GB DDR3 in single package instead  of 2pces of 512MB DDR3 like A3T8GF43BBF (we have tested it on STM32MP135F)

Alex