cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with Kernel config - first time setup (Developer package)

JayDev
Senior II

I am trying to setup the developer package on my system and had an issue with the following line when going through the README.HOW_TO.txt file in the developer package:

$ make ARCH=arm O="${OUTPUT_BUILD_DIR}" multi_v7_defconfig fragment*.config
make: *** No rule to make target 'multi_v7_defconfig'.  Stop.

For context, it had me do the following to prepare the kernel source (to apply the patches to the kernal source directory, ~/STM32MPU-Ecosystem-v5.0.0/Developer-Package/stm32mp1-openstlinux-6.1-yocto-mickledore-mp1-v23.06.21/sources/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/linux-stm32mp-6.1.28-stm32mp-r1-r0:(

tar xf linux-6.1.28.tar.xz
cd linux-6.1.28
for p in `ls -1 ../*.patch`; do patch -p1 < $p; done

This had no issues and had me move on to section 5 which had me run the following from the same folder (~/STM32MPU-Ecosystem-v5.0.0/Developer-Package/stm32mp1-openstlinux-6.1-yocto-mickledore-mp1-v23.06.21/sources/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/linux-stm32mp-6.1.28-stm32mp-r1-r0, maybe that is the source of the issue?  I assumed that is the "directory to kernel source code" as it specified that in a previous section):

cd <directory to kernel source code>
export OUTPUT_BUILD_DIR=$PWD/../build
mkdir -p ${OUTPUT_BUILD_DIR}
make ARCH=arm O="${OUTPUT_BUILD_DIR}" multi_v7_defconfig fragment*.config

I can see the "build" folder in "~/STM32MPU-Ecosystem-v5.0.0/Developer-Package/stm32mp1-openstlinux-6.1-yocto-mickledore-mp1-v23.06.21/sources/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi", which is where I assume it wanted it (I could be wrong).

Unfortunately, when running the last line, I got the following error (as mentioned above):

make: *** No rule to make target 'multi_v7_defconfig'.  Stop.

I went searching for the file it was referring to and I could find it in ~/STM32MPU-Ecosystem-v5.0.0/Developer-Package/stm32mp1-openstlinux-6.1-yocto-mickledore-mp1-v23.06.21/sources/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/linux-stm32mp-6.1.28-stm32mp-r1-r0/linux-6.1.28/arch/arm/configs.

I've been very careful to go through each step and make sure I don't miss anything and the only thing I can think of is I'm running this from the wrong folder or there was an issue with the files used or it's missing something from the patch process in section 4 of the readme guide?

I've been poking at it for a while and figured I'd see if anyone else had any ideas.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @JayDev ,
Like this, I do not see something special. Maybe few things to double check :

• Is your SDK well sourced in your shell ? (echo $CC to verify if your tool-chain is well defined)
  • before doing your make command, maybe echo $OUTPUT_BUILD_DIR to check that your directory is well present
  • Check that you are well in kernel source code folder (with ls command, you should see the following folders : https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/linux)

Kind regards,
Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks for the info, @Erwan SZYMANSKI !

Looks like you found the issue.  I had been checking in the:

~/STM32MPU-Ecosystem-v5.0.0/Developer-Package/stm32mp1-openstlinux-6.1-yocto-mickledore-mp1-v23.06.21/sources/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/linux-stm32mp-6.1.28-stm32mp-r1-r0

folder, which section 3 of the readme referred to as the "kernel source directory" (From the readme file: "In the kernel source directory (sources/*/linux-stm32mp-6.1.28-stm32mp-r1-r0)",.

From your post, I should have a different folder structure, which is actually what I have in:

~/STM32MPU-Ecosystem-v5.0.0/Developer-Package/stm32mp1-openstlinux-6.1-yocto-mickledore-mp1-v23.06.21/sources/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/linux-stm32mp-6.1.28-stm32mp-r1-r0/linux-6.1.28

It does look like the $CC is giving me the correct output in this shell but if I open it in another window, it doesn't return anything.  So it appears I'll need to redo the following line every time?

source /home/local/DEVNET/jay/STM32MPU-Ecosystem-v5.0.0/Developer-Package/SDK/environment-setup-cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi

Thanks again for the quick reply!