cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compile Kernel using bitbake

NPal.2
Senior

HI all,

Is it possible to just compile the kernel in yocto environment for stm32mp1 using command : bitbake -C compile virtual/kernel

This command is currently failing with below error message :

0693W00000D2AzyQAF.png 

If not this , then what is the correct way to do it?

I have another thread running here , where in if try to build it stand-alone with SDK it is failing due to GLIBC issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@NPal.2​ 

Before downgrading your own machine from Ub21 to Ub20, you might give a try by using a virtual machine running Ubuntu20.04.

About the planning for the next supported Ubuntu platforms, I am sorry but I don't have any clue. Anyway, we are relying on Yocto supported linux distributions.

Best regards,

--JM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jean-Marc B
ST Employee

Hello @NPal.2​ 

yes, the command

bitbake -C compile virtual/kernel

will build the dedicated package linux-stm32mp. You can also achieve this by using this command

bitbake -f -c deploy linux-stm32mp

There should not be any error from these two commands.

Could you give it a try from a fresh OpenSTLinux environment please i.e. without any change brought to the kernel please?

Best regards,

--JM

Hi @Jean-Marc B​ : I tried on the fresh checkout. Looks like it fails due some missing variable definition. I have attached the log file. Is this expected?

I just gave

bitbake -C compile virtual/kernel

and had failure mentioned in the file.

Hi @NPal.2​ 

I thank you for provindig your log file.

At first glance, I see two items:

• it seems to me you use a computer running Ubuntu 21.04. At now, the OpenSTLinux environment is only supported and verified with Ubuntu18.04 or Ubuntu20.04.
  • the first line of the log is quite interesting: «WARNING: Your host glibc verson (2.33) is newer than that in uninative (2.32). Disabling uninative so that sstate is not corrupted.

IMHO, I think there is some incompatibilities between Ubuntu21.04 and OSTL-3.0 but I am not 100% sure.

Could it be possible to have an access to a machine or a container with Ubuntu20?

Best regards,

--JM

Hi @Jean-Marc B​ : So recently my Ubuntu got upgraded to Ubuntu 21.04. Might also be why i am running into these issues. Is there any timeline when OpenSTLinux is expected to be supported on 21.04. ? Looks like i have to go back to Ubuntu20.04. for now.

@NPal.2​ 

Before downgrading your own machine from Ub21 to Ub20, you might give a try by using a virtual machine running Ubuntu20.04.

About the planning for the next supported Ubuntu platforms, I am sorry but I don't have any clue. Anyway, we are relying on Yocto supported linux distributions.

Best regards,

--JM

Hi @Jean-Marc B​ . Downgraded to UB20 . Works like a charm. Thanks for all the patience and support.