cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting STM32MP1 without GPT partition table

PTewa.1
Associate II

We have product built around STM32MP1157C and boots up with GPT partition table. However, we would like to boot it up with DOS (MBR based) Partition table. As per the documentation - section 4.3 of https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32MP15_ROM_code_overview, it seems GPT is not mandatory for STM32 ROM code to locate FSBL. So, accordingly, I dumped u-boot-spl.stm32-mp1som-pxl7-basic at LBA 34 (at offset 17K), but it fails to boot up.

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pradeep

4 REPLIES 4
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

Can you please confirm you are booting from SDCard ?

Can you describe further "but it fails to boot up" ? Any log trace ?

What is status on PA13 ( see https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32MP15_ROM_code_overview#Debug_and_Error_messages )

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PTewa.1
Associate II

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I am booting up from SDcard.

By 'fails to boot up', I mean the FSBL never comes up as I don't see any logs on the debug console. However, same FSBL comes up, if I use the gpt partition table.

I haven't checked the status of PA13. I would check & let you know soon.

Thanks,

Pradeep

PTewa.1
Associate II

Hi Olivier,

Unfortunately, we don't have pin PA13 directly accessible on the board, neither we have a debugger to get the logs. However, it would be very helpful if you could point me to some instructions which guides on the booting up with non-GPT partition table. This is what I did:

• Created the MBR (DOS) based partition table with fdisk
  • Dumped FSBL on the SD Card with:
    • dd if=u-boot-spl.stm32 of=/dev/sdc conv=fdatasync,notrunc seek=17408 bs=1

Regards,

Pradeep

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

It appears that wiki information maybe erroneous.

Bootrom is looking at LBA128 (offset 64KB) for FSBL1 and LBA640 ( offset 320KB) for FSBL2.

Please give it a try.

FYI, MBR support is not integrated in our TF-A trusted boot solution, which is the one recommended.

Basic boot is no longer supported since Version 2.0.

As matter of curiosity what prevent you to use GPT partitioning ?

Thx

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.