cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the linux kernel so large?

DMårt
Senior III

I compiled the linux kernel with STM32CubeIDE and notice that the linux kernel vmlinux is about 242 Mb.

Why so large?

Or do I looking at the wrong folder? I'm standing inside the build folder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@BarryWhit 

Hi! It was the "uImage" that I need to use if I'm using U-boot. Current uImage is about 8 Mb.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BarryWhit
Senior III

you probably want vmlinuz which is the compressed version. The size may be artificially large when compiling with kernel debug options on. The presence of debug symbols blows up the binary size.

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.

@BarryWhit 

Hi! It was the "uImage" that I need to use if I'm using U-boot. Current uImage is about 8 Mb.

BarryWhit
Senior III

Makes sense. probably stripped before being compressed. Run the 'file' utility on it and see what you get.

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.