cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSTLinux/Yocto V4.0.0: unable to connect to Wayland display

sbrov
ST Employee

Hi,

me and my team are working on a project on STM32MP1-DK2.

While everything is working fine on the previous ecosystrem release (v3.1.0),

after updating to the latest release v4.0.0, our demo stop to work, even after recompiling.

This is caused by the following code:

wl_display * display = wl_display_connect(NULL);
if (display == NULL) {
   std::cout << "can't connect to wayland display" << std::endl;
   return false;
}

wl_display_connect keeps returning null and thus I cannot get the current Wayland display.

What's more interesting is that even the built-in "weston-info" tool has the same issue and in fact it doesnt work.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbrov
ST Employee

As a reference for anyone encountering the same issue: starting with OpenSTLinux 4.0.1, Weston/Wayland runs under the dedicated non-root account "weston". Therefore you need to run any app dealing with wayland under this user, and not under "root" user.

You can read about it here: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Wayland_Weston_troubleshooting_grid

Thank you!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kevin HUBER
ST Employee

Hello @sbrov​ ,

Please can I have your full boot logs until the error?

Are you using a custom image from distribution, the developer package or the Starter Package?

Best Regards,

Kevin

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
sbrov
ST Employee

As a reference for anyone encountering the same issue: starting with OpenSTLinux 4.0.1, Weston/Wayland runs under the dedicated non-root account "weston". Therefore you need to run any app dealing with wayland under this user, and not under "root" user.

You can read about it here: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Wayland_Weston_troubleshooting_grid

Thank you!