cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP157A-DK1 StLink LED is always red

fyildirim
Associate II

Hi,

When I power on my STM32MP157A-DK1 board, ST-LINK LED (LD4) is always red. On my Linux system when I connect the board through ST-LINK micro usb port (CN11), it is only detected as 'STM32 Virtual ComPort', and not detected as StLink device. And when I boot Linux, no activity on STM32 Virtual ComPort (/dev/ttyACM0).

It seems that there is an issue with on-board StLink.

Do you think this is a firmware issue that can be fixed or a hw issue?

Thanks,

Fatih

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

idProduct=5740 seems to show that the original STLink FW (inside U19) has been erased and replaced by a custom application (i.e. not using ST-Link upgrade) which now seems to do only the USB VCP you see (this could have been done with another STLINK connected on CN12 ST-Link factory SWD port).

Btw, this setup does not allow ST-Link upgrade as it is now not anymore an ST-Link.

I think there is no way to restore original FW (at least on my side, I don't know).

You somewhat 'bricked' the ST-Link part of your board.

If you did not find any way to restore embedded ST-Link functionality and don't want to buy another DK1 board, ultimate solution might be to use an external STLINK-V3SET by forcing U19 in reset (SB18) and connecting external device to relevant signals (SWCLK, SWDIO, SWO, NRST, UART4, Ground, etc..) from existing point (e.g. SB17, 19, 20, 22 and R77, R72).

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

Few though:

1. Did you also power the board using CN6 ?
  2. The fact that Virtual ComPort is showing up seems to confirm embedded ST-Link is up and running. Could you anyway try to update the STLINK FW using https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html ?
  3. Is the blue led (LD8) start blinking after few seconds when board is powered using CN6 ? If not blinking, please see https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-DK2/Let's_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image#Boot_the_board and maybe reflash the SD-Card using https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-DK2/Let%27s_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image
  4. Is the small red led (LD6) blinking or continuously on ? That could be a power supply issue. See https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-DK2/Let's_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image#Boot_the_board

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
fyildirim
Associate II

Hi @PatrickF​ ,

Thanks for your reply.

Please find below my answers.

1. Did you also power the board using CN6 ?

Yes, the board has been powered using CN6 with a 5V-3A psu.

3. Is the blue led (LD8) start blinking after few seconds when board is powered using CN6 ? 

Yes, it's blinking twice every second.

4. Is the small red led (LD6) blinking or continuously on ?

It's continuously on.

2. The fact that Virtual ComPort is showing up seems to confirm embedded ST-Link is up and running. Could you anyway try to update the STLINK FW?

I couldn't update it because it's not recognized as an StLink device even it's connected (CN11) to the PC. Both tested on Windows and Linux, result is the same.

On Linux, it's only recognized as 'STM32 Virtual ComPort' (idVendor=0483, idProduct=5740).

I think StLink v2.1 product id should be 374b or 3752. So, on Linux I expect to see a USB device with idProduct 374b or 3752. But only idProduct=5740 is detected.

By the way, I confirm that udev rules are correctly set for StLink v2.1. 

Thanks.

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

blue led twice every second is meaning Linux is started (Linux heartbeat). So you should have console message.

Did you start a Windows or Linux console on the available Virtual Comm Port (115200,n,8,1) ?

Should work out of the box. We never see this kind of issue (LD4 red is normal).

Did you try using another USB Type-C supply ?

On my PC, STM32MP157F-DK2 (but should be same for all DK1/DK2 flavors) shows as a single USB composite device with product ID 0x3752 (seen using 'USB Device Tree Viewer' freeware).

Could you share the ST-LinkUpgrade.exe screenshot when you click 'Device Connect' ?

On Linux, are you using Virtual Machine ?

Although not required for basic usage of VCP console, did you ensure the relevant drivers are installed (Refer to PC prerequisites). Is any tool like STM32CubeIDE or STM32CubeProgrammer installed (they install relevant ST-Link drivers).

On Windows, could you share result of:

"%ProgramFiles%\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\bin\STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe" -l

Regards.

fyildirim
Associate II

Hi @PatrickF​ 

> Did you start a Windows or Linux console on the available Virtual Comm Port (115200,n,8,1) ?

Yes, both on Windwos and Linux no activity on the port.

> Did you try using another USB Type-C supply ?

Yes, tried with to different 5V-3A psu.

> Could you share the ST-LinkUpgrade.exe screenshot when you click 'Device Connect' ?

Please find it below

0693W00000WLWXcQAP.jpg 

> On Linux, are you using Virtual Machine ?

No, I use native Linux on real machine.

> Is any tool like STM32CubeIDE or STM32CubeProgrammer installed (they install relevant ST-Link drivers).

Yes, STM32CubeProgrammer is installed, and I confirm that StLink drivers are installed.

> On Windows, could you share result of: "%ProgramFiles%\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\bin\STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe" -l

-------------------------------------------------------------------

STM32CubeProgrammer v2.12.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------

===== DFU Interface  =====

No STM32 device in DFU mode connected

===== STLink Interface =====

Error: No ST-Link detected!

I'm not the initial owner of the board. I suspect somehow StLink bootloader&firmware had beed overwritten. Is it possible to reflash stlink bootlader & firmware from scratch?

Thanks..

PatrickF
ST Employee

idProduct=5740 seems to show that the original STLink FW (inside U19) has been erased and replaced by a custom application (i.e. not using ST-Link upgrade) which now seems to do only the USB VCP you see (this could have been done with another STLINK connected on CN12 ST-Link factory SWD port).

Btw, this setup does not allow ST-Link upgrade as it is now not anymore an ST-Link.

I think there is no way to restore original FW (at least on my side, I don't know).

You somewhat 'bricked' the ST-Link part of your board.

If you did not find any way to restore embedded ST-Link functionality and don't want to buy another DK1 board, ultimate solution might be to use an external STLINK-V3SET by forcing U19 in reset (SB18) and connecting external device to relevant signals (SWCLK, SWDIO, SWO, NRST, UART4, Ground, etc..) from existing point (e.g. SB17, 19, 20, 22 and R77, R72).

Regards.

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @fyildirim​ 

did you progress on this ? Could we assume your issue is closed ?

Regards,

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

fyildirim
Associate II

Hi @PatrickF​,

Thanks for your support on this issue.

Yes, we can close it.

Regards,

Fatih