cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with a STM32MP157F-DK2

gbernaldo
Associate

Hi, good morning!

First of all, let me tell you that this is my first post (I'm new here in the community of STM32) but I have some experience in the embedded world (I mean, I've used ESP32, Arduino, RPI, BB(Black, Play and AI-64) and other devices for projects at work). The only problem I have is I don't have any experience with STM32 devices and all related stuff so bear in mind with me please. 

The thing is, after reading the Wiki section (Getting started) I see the first thing I have to do to connect the hardware (STM32MP157) to my computer is to buy some wires I don't have right now. The Wires are:

• Connect your laptop to the board ST-LINK/V2-1 port through the micro USB Type-B to USB Type-A cable.
  • Connect the USB Type-C™ to USB Type-C™ cable to the 5V/3A power supply.
  • Connect your laptop to the board USB Type-C OTG port through the USB Type-C™ to USB Type-A cable.

I don't have those wires (in this moment). I just have a USB Type-C (5V/3A) which I've been using for all devices I have (Mainly BeagleBone Black, BeagleBone AI64, Raspberry Pi and other devices) for both power supply and connection from host to device. I thought I could use the USB Type-C wire for both power supply and connection and start doing things with the device throught a serial port connection.

So, my question, is, are those wires (the three of them) mandatory to be able to connect to the device?

Another question I would like to ask is, can you suggest me a book to get more experience using the STM32 devices (Both MCU/MPU)?. In my job, I expect to work with the MCU devices mostly altought I'll use some MPU devices for some concepts or prototypes I'll be working in the next years to come.

Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Richard Li
Senior

I have one MP135F-DK, I guess cable should be same.

For my board, I need two cables, one is for power, this one you can use any charger USB - C cable (I used cell phone power pack with cable.)  another USB - c cable like you noticed for Beaglebone... you can connect to this board , it will provide serial port terminal communication.

Even flash SD-card, you no need ST-link cable.

Regards,

Richard 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Richard Li
Senior

I have one MP135F-DK, I guess cable should be same.

For my board, I need two cables, one is for power, this one you can use any charger USB - C cable (I used cell phone power pack with cable.)  another USB - c cable like you noticed for Beaglebone... you can connect to this board , it will provide serial port terminal communication.

Even flash SD-card, you no need ST-link cable.

Regards,

Richard 

Hi @Richard Li , good morning!

Thank you so much for your answer. I received the SMT32MP157F-DK2 and I have to say that it works correctly. Finally I did you you told me, I mean, I used a power supply from my Raspberry PI (Which is a USB Type-C that supports 5V - 3A) and I used a USB TYPE C (the one I'm using for my mobile phone) and I've been able to connect to the device.

When the device boots I'm able to connect to it throught the Tera Term (On Windows) throught SSH and Serial Port. 

I see too that there are one RED leds are blinking forever but I thing that's just a warning (I mean, I've seen in other comments in this forum that maybe is due to some signals that aren't availble in the Raspberry PI power supply)

So, thank you so much for your help!

Anyway, I bought the ST-Link/V2 programmer.