cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 output goes to HDMI and not to DSI display

AndreyN
Associate III

Hi Folks,

I am building openstlinux-weston/st-image-weston image for stm32mp157c-dk2 board using newest Yocto distribution provided by STM. Everything works fine except the output goes always to HDMI (even if no cable attached). I can see bootloader splash image on DSI display. However, after couple of seconds it disappears and display remains black. If I attach HDMI display after boot is complete, I can see launcher application there. BTW, the same is happening with eglfs image.

I would appreciate any hints what might be wrong and how to debug/fix the problem.

Here is the build summary information and complete boot-log from serial console.

Regards,

Andrey.

23 REPLIES 23

Details about my Yocto environment could be found here on pastebin. This is what I've got doing repo sync as described in installation instructions. I built the image myself without changing any configuration.

I just realize, that boot-log from supplied SD-card says:

ST OpenSTLinux - Weston - (A Yocto Project Based Distro) 2.6-openstlinux-19-02-20-github-display-fix stm32mp1 ttySTM0

In contrast, my image says:

ST OpenSTLinux - Weston - (A Yocto Project Based Distro) 2.6-snapshot stm32mp1 ttySTM0

I will provide more detailed version information later today.

Thanks @AndreyN​ 

Indeed you point the problem.

Starter Package delivered integrate some Display fix needed for some DK2 board ( like yours) .

But those patches, delivered as Minor release are not integrated in Distribution package. You have to manage it by yourself :

Please refer to :

Minor release updates

Display patches are available from release V1.0.2.

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks @Community member​ for your help!

I will try to integrate the updates you mentioned.

Just out of curiosity - why those are not included in Distribution package? I would not consider lack of display support on evaluation board as minor problem. At least mentioning it very clearly at installation instructions could save other potential customers from frustration and time lost.

Regards,

Andrey.

Hi @AndreyN​ 

Display issue has been evaluated at about 8% of the very first production lot of DK2 boards.

We have considered impact was not enough to justify the effort needed to integrate and validate a new release of Distribution Package.

We are really sorry for inconvenience for unlucky guy like you.

You are right about lake of clear information/warning and we will be more careful in future to better highlight such situation.

Note that everything will be integrated by next Major release scheduled for begin of October.

BR,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Community member​ ,

unfortunately I am still unable to make output go to DSI display. Following your suggestion I went to the minor update page. As I understand from reading the description how to apply this updates, the one need to switch to GitHub mode. So I did what is suggested here https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/OpenSTLinux_distribution#Reference_source_code - uncomment four STM32MP_SOURCE_SELECTION_*** variables in my local.conf, delete tmp-glibc directory and rerun bitbake. I have seen corresponding packages pulled from github. Build complete successfully.

However, the output still goes to HDMI. Boot log is very similar to what I referenced in my original post (can send the new one if necessary). Are there any other yocto/woodoo/bone-throwing rituals I need to accomplish to make it working? I was trying to find any mention of "display-fix" on GitHub (branch, release or tag) with no luck. How did you guys built this "display-fix" image provided on sd-card?

Are there anybody on this forum managed to rebuild own weston image from ST distribution with working DSI display? I would highly appreciate if you can share the experience.

Regards,

Andrey.

Hi everybody,

I received yesterday the STM32MP157C-DK2, bought on Farnell.

On the back of the board, near the edge, there is a QR Code with content: MB1272-DK2-C01A191500505; there is also a white label, centrally positioned, with content (on two lines): STM32MP157C-DK2 DK32MP157C2$A1

When I first used the board, with the pre-programmed SD, everything worked well, just as in STM32MP1 wiki, Execute basic commands and Use the demo launcher.

Then, I tried to Populate the target and boot the image (Starter Package) but, after that, except for the initial splash screen, the display stays black. The board, in all other aspects, has the same functionalities as before: minicom, ssh, netdata and so on.

Reading this post I have realized that the video could be redirected to HDMI port and I made a test with an external monitor. The GTK demo launcher is just there, on HDMI monitor, and I can also use the touch (black) screen on the board activating commands like Artificial Intelligence or Bluetooth Speaker.

By the way, it's very disappointing to buy a brand new developer board, to follow instructions on the related wiki and to find out that the web official software is older than the shipped one.

Being another unlucky guy (how many are we?) I'm looking forward to the next Major release scheduled for begin of October.

Regards,

Nicola

below the label on the shipped package

0690X00000ARJFaQAP.jpg

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Hello Andrey,

the full delivery (Major one) is done every 6 months. In between, ST is providing bugfixes only in github: that way customer may take the latest fixes available and integrate wherever they like in their distribution.

There is an easy way to make distribution package based on github, see: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/OpenSTLinux_distribution#Reference_source_code

Hi Nicola,

This is indeed very frustrating. Spending days to (re)building yocto images, trying to find better power supply, collecting detailed logs and information for forum posts just to find out that you are unlucky guy (c) . :smirking_face:

What is even more frustrating, is that even after switching to git instead of tar's following steps in documentation does not yield any improvements. I am really wondering how this supplied SD card image was built? It looks to me that it was made by some developer applied series of patches on his/her local computer without any chances for others to reproduce this build. If it is really the case, I would consider it rather unprofessional from ST.

Andrey.

Hi @Bernard PUEL​ ,

> There is an easy way to make distribution package based on github

Have you read my last reply to @Community member​ in this thread? I did exactly this and it does not result in the image where DSI display is working. Have you tried to follow these steps yourself with clean Yocto distribution? Can you generate image which works on one of this "unlucky" boards?

Regards,

Andrey.

... in the mean time I've tried the Buildroot way as described in a series of Bootlin's blog posts and it was way more pleasant experience then with Yocto distribution. At least display works (framebuffer). I am currently trying to make Wayland and OpenGLES working. Was even able to make WiFi to work by substituting Buildroot's firmware with what is provided in ST's Yocto Linux distribution.