cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK1 EVB in production environment

MToum.1
Associate II

Hello,

Is there any clause from ST that prevent the usage of DK1 evaluation board in production?

I have seen few notes in the user manual:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00591354-discovery-kits-with-stm32mp157-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf

"Product marking Evaluation tools marked as “ES�? or “E�? are not yet qualified and therefore not ready to be used as reference design or in production. Any consequences deriving from such usage will not be at ST charge. In no event, ST will be liable for any customer usage of these engineering sample tools as reference design or in production. “E�? or “ES�? marking examples of location: • On the targeted STM32 that is soldered on the board (for illustration of STM32 marking, refer to the STM32 datasheet “Package information�? paragraph at the www.st.com website). • Next to the evaluation tool ordering part number that is stuck or silk-screen printed on the board."

It sounds to me that as long as we are staying away of automotive, military or in general safety-critical applications we could use the DK1 as a final product as long as proper testing and electromagnetic certification is performed.

I also found a license agreement for EVBs that is pretty straightforward: https://www.st.com/resource/en/evaluation_board_terms_of_use/evaluationproductlicenseagreement.pdf

"You shall not use, in whole or in part, theEvaluation Board in a production system."

Is there a way to obtain a derogation?

Thank you for your inputs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

I confirm @Community member​ statements.

License agreement is clearly stating this is not allowed to re-sell or integrate development boards in commercial products.

I'm not sure there could be any waiver, as I think it imply small quantities. For big quantities, I assume customers to built their own application boards.

As @Community member​ recommend, you might confirm this by contacting your nearest local ST office.

Note also that Development boards are not guaranteed to be available for long term and could be discontinued or modified without prior advertisement.

Nevertheless, as we give the full design fileset of the boards under Open Platform License Agreement , you are still allowed to start from it to build your own product boards. Obviously, it is a must doing few changes on it and removing any ST related logo or trademark present on the PCB. See also www.st.com/opla

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

These boards aren't sold to be used in mass quantities or for commercial applications, this is due in part to the lack of fully licensed IP

In any case this would be a discussion to have with ST Legal, and not the public forum

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

I confirm @Community member​ statements.

License agreement is clearly stating this is not allowed to re-sell or integrate development boards in commercial products.

I'm not sure there could be any waiver, as I think it imply small quantities. For big quantities, I assume customers to built their own application boards.

As @Community member​ recommend, you might confirm this by contacting your nearest local ST office.

Note also that Development boards are not guaranteed to be available for long term and could be discontinued or modified without prior advertisement.

Nevertheless, as we give the full design fileset of the boards under Open Platform License Agreement , you are still allowed to start from it to build your own product boards. Obviously, it is a must doing few changes on it and removing any ST related logo or trademark present on the PCB. See also www.st.com/opla

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MToum.1
Associate II

Thank you @Community member​ as well as @PatrickF​ this is very helpful to be able to make a decision.

Hi,

forgot to mention that you can find many HW modules, boards, etc.. (which are ready to use in your application production) looking at our partners:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/partner/partner-program.html?key=STM32MP1&country=country&partnersOnPage=40&page=1#2

Regards.