cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing between STM32MP157C and STM32MP257F

rbedin
Associate II

Hello,

I am looking for an MCU/MPU for some application development and the STM32MP looked very interesting. I understand that the STM32MP257F is still in preproduction and there is no "-EV1" development board for it... on the other hand, the STM32MP157C-EV1 is obsolete and the STM32MP157F would be a problematic option for me because I need the automotive temperature range offered by the 157C. 

Thus, I have the following questions:

- Is there a planned release date for the 257F and its development board?

- What is the EOL date for the 157C? Why does it appear as "active" but its development kit is "obsolete"?

- Is it possible to use any of them (or both of them) in a bare-metal set-up with only one core active? I am trying, as much as possible, to avoid a multi-core configuration or any sort of RTOS.

Thanks,

Ricardo

3 REPLIES 3
Joe WILLIAMS
ST Employee

Hi rbedin

This post has been escalated to the ST Online Support Team for additional assistance.  Should anyone else have a similar questions about EOL, please submit your request directly to the ST Online Support Team at https://my.st.com/ols

Kind Regards

Joe WILLIAMS

STMicro Support

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

thank you for your interest on STM32MP products.

Let me try to clarify

STM32MP products are not automotive grade products.

STM32MP157C-EV1 is obsolete because you could evaluate the STM32MP157C features using the STM32MP157F-EV1 board (e.g. your could load the STM32MP157C starter package on STM32MP157F-EV1 board)

All STM32MP1 and STM32MP2 products are part of ST 10-years longevity program, currently renewed each year. Today commit up to 2034, should be 2035 next year, etc...

PatrickF_0-1715588733964.png

Even if not renewed in future (which is not yet in the plan for any STM32MP series), the 10-years longevity program will guarantee that you still have 10 years of production behind you after notification.

For bare-metal application, we recommend to use STM32MP13 as we provide STM32CubeMP13 Package

STM32MP25 series are planned to be release end of June with relevant development boards.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Patrick, hi Joe,

Thanks for your help! I will take a closer look at the STM32MP135C then.

By the way: for commonality with other processors I use, I would like to know how feasible it would be to develop a bare-metal application for integration with the Green Hills compiler and debugger.

I assume the workload will be higher if I do not use the STM32CubeMP13Package, but this may be fine if it remains "doable", as I do not intend to use that many peripherals... in this case, would the STM32MP13 and STM32MP15 be equally good for my application?

Best regards,

Ricardo