cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC1 and CC2 - Do I need them for STM32MP157?

DMårt
Senior II

I'm going to build my own computer by using STM32MP157 and install OpenSTLinux onto it. 

The powering for STM32MP157 can be done via USB-C connection, but that requires an USB-C charger of 5 volts.

Can I skip that and only using a regular charger like 3.5 DC jack? I know that there are two pins that are connected to STM32MP157 processor. They are USB_PWR_CC1 and USB_PWR_CC2. They are connected to PA5 and PA4 at the processor.

Who is using these pins? Is it the OpenSTLinux? 

Do I really need them?

Skärmbild 2024-03-24 150039.png

1 REPLY 1
PatrickF
ST Employee

HI @DMårt 

CC1 and CC2 lines are used to detect the charger capabilities and uBoot will issue a message and blink red led.

This could be disabled in Device Tree if you are not using USB Type-C to power the board (or if you don't need such check).

See STM32MP157F-EV1 board for an example of 5V DC Jack power supply.

See also this rather old post on similar subject https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mpus-boards-and-hardware/my-stm32mp157f-dk2-is-powered-by-5v-3a-psu-but-at-the-boot-up/m-p/211923

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.