cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WLE5CB - Simple P2P SubGHz_Phy with custom board impossible?

Mecanix
Senior

Hello, coming from a STM32L071 + SX1276 application I find it impossible to achieve the equivalent P2P simplicity using the STM32WL package and the latest version of CubeIDE. Am I correct assuming this package only works with the Nucleo hardware at the moment?

Second question; has anyone managed to get a Simple P2P template working with the STM32WLE5CB on a custom board? Reason I ask this is because I keep getting quite a lot errors no matter what parameters I change, it just never compile. Same for you guys?

Hardware: STM32WLE5CB (GPIO: 2 LEDs, 2 VCTRL for RF TX/RX)

Goal: Board1: TX 1byte + flash led. Board2: RX 1byte + flash led.

0693W00000DpraGQAR.jpg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mecanix
Senior

Not all impressed by the total lack of engagement. Let's just hope the product is new and not many are using it, yet.

Thank god for crappy weather and Saturdays I've managed to rig a fully functional example for a custom STM32WLE5CB board. Common ultra-low cost; one simple TX/RX switch, and that's it (no TCXO). Attaching an (unofficial) PingPong example made using STM32CubeIDE and FW_WL_V1.1.0 in case anybody needs that. Compiles and works perfectly fine, so it seems.

0693W00000Dq0IBQAZ.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mecanix
Senior

Bump.

The silence is worrying. Fair to assume the IDE's existing templates are meant to target Nucleo BGAs & pinouts and yet reached to target custom boards?

Just need a confirmation of that so I can shift the focus back on the STM32L071 + SX1276 application.

Also, when will CubeIDE be geared for custom boards and include templates/examples in their ultimate simplicity?

Thanks

This is generally a user-to-user forum, people working in this space are often a) working for other commercial entities, or b) using the LRWAN / Semtech libraries more directly, and not via code generators in CubeMX/IDE.

You'd perhaps do better working more directly with the FAE's assigned to your account. ST's wireless FAE tend to work directly with customers, and not via the forum.

Are there not some direct SubPHY PingPong examples in CubeWL you could port more simply?

The older libraries I used to do P2P on STM32L0/L1/F1 + SX1276/72, are different to the ones more recently with LRWAN, and with the SX1262 parts

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Mecanix
Senior

Hi Tesla, thanks for the feedback.

At this very early stage I'm reaching out to that user-to-user community; asking if you guys managed to get anything to compile out of the templates made available under STM32CubeIDE for a "custom board" with WLE5xx series. Purpose of that is to investigate if custom boards templates are considered (and working?). RE "PingPong" and for all there is to see are half a million headers & source files in the example... this just can't be right and probably explains why nothing really compiles for custom boards... I really don't know what's going on/I'm just asking. For Nucleo only?

Not that I'm stranded or anything like that, STM32L071 + SX1276 rules world-size in terms of simplicity so I'm sticking to this for now. I'd still be interested to see what you guys came up with for P2P nodes in terms of CubeIDE templates anyway. Or at least know when examples from ST are planed to come out would also be a good starting point... if anyone knows.

Unfortunately around here support is assumed to be valueless.

I don't work for ST, and don't like any of the Cube stuff. I'm using Keil, and can build to multiple targets with that, with whatever STM32, pin configuration, baseband, RF, PA etc.

Got some STM32WL DISCO and NUCLEO boards, tinkered with them to a point. Most of this does look rather bloated, so I'm probably going to back-port the SX1262 code I have for other modules into the STM32WLE5

In the near term I'll probably use the Seeed Lora-E5 Module as a cheap/convenient target. The STM32WL is for most purposes an L4 with an SX1262 bolted onto an internalize SPI peripheral connection.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Valueless support assumed?! wtf... can't count high enough to measure how many times I got out of trouble by reading the posts made by (ST Employee) here, on this forum. Quite grateful for that.

Mecanix
Senior

Not all impressed by the total lack of engagement. Let's just hope the product is new and not many are using it, yet.

Thank god for crappy weather and Saturdays I've managed to rig a fully functional example for a custom STM32WLE5CB board. Common ultra-low cost; one simple TX/RX switch, and that's it (no TCXO). Attaching an (unofficial) PingPong example made using STM32CubeIDE and FW_WL_V1.1.0 in case anybody needs that. Compiles and works perfectly fine, so it seems.

0693W00000Dq0IBQAZ.jpg