cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB55 - unexpected current pulses in STOP2 and standby modes

RScha.3
Associate II

Hello,

I'm developing a battery-powered application for the STM32WB55 (specifically the STM32WB55RGV6) and am seeing periodic pulses or spikes in the SoC's current consumption every 200ms in STOP2 and standby modes. These pulses occur with the Nucleo board MB1355-C02 as well, though the pulses have a different shape on the Nucleo board than the ones I can observe on the board I designed. I have tried the demo firmware in addition to my own, and observe the pulses with it as well.

A couple other notes:

• The pulse period is reduced with increasing ambient temperature. If I point a hair dryer at the board, the pulse period gets much shorter.
  • The pulses occur when running the boards off of an isolated battery supply as well as a typical benchtop DC power supply.
  • I have tried setting all of the pins possible to analog input in order to isolate the STM32WB55 as much as possible from outside circuits, but this didn't help with the pulses.

I've attached couple images from my power analyzer that show the pulse period and shape.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated! Thanks and take care,

Ryan

4 REPLIES 4
RScha.3
Associate II

Any thoughts, folks?

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Is that on a part with SMPS? Probably when sleeping, SMPS is in pulse skipping mode. When VFBSMPS has dropped some margin, C2 from Figure 4 "Pwer distribution " is recharged. Higher temperature -> Higher leakage -> more frequent recharge

RScha.3
Associate II

Thanks for your reply, and a very interesting theory! The part does have a SMPS, but in the STOP2 and standby modes, the SMPS is open and the LDO is powering the low-voltage core. I checked the switching node for the SMPS (called V_LXSMPS on this part) with my scope and saw no switching there.

Hi Ryan,

Have you solved this problem?

Regards

Aaron