cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Confusion

fabltd
Associate

Hello All

I am very confused about picking the correct STM32WL for LoRaWAN. 

There appears to be:

STM32WL5MOC - The datasheet says this is a STM32WL55JC - What does the MOC add? 

Then there is the:

STM32WL55CC

STM32WL55JC

From what I can tell is the CC has less pins. 

Then we get to buying these:

STM32WL55CC (U6) 

STM32WL55CC (U7)  

Whats the difference between U6 and U7 - This is not mentione in the datasheet

The MOC is offered as:

STM32WL5MOC (H6TR) 

STM32WL5MOC (H6STR) 

Whats the difference between H6TR  and H6STR 

For development we are considering using the:

B-WLM5-SUBG1 development board. This contains the STM32WL5MOC  not sure doesn't say H6STR or H6TR

Is there a recommed STLINK-V3  programmer to use with this series?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @fabltd and welcome to the ST Community.

For the STM32WL55, they are MCU (Microcontrollers). you can find all explanation about the naming on the part 7 of the datasheet:

STTwo32_0-1729865959266.png

For the STM32WL5MCO, is a module based on the STM32WL55JC that you can use it on standalone mode or connect it to a SOC with an external MCU that control it. More data are available on this datasheet.

For the B-WLM5-SUBG1 development board, it is based on the STM32WB5MMGH6TR.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

6 / 7 relates to temperature, and IS in the datasheet

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/stm32wl55cc.pdf#page=147

The ST-LINK/V3 would be suitable for programming/debugging

There aren't dev boards for every package combination, most of the parts share a common die, so each is a good proxy for one another.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you for the confusion RE 6 and 7

Now I just need to understand the difference between the MOC and raw MCU

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @fabltd and welcome to the ST Community.

For the STM32WL55, they are MCU (Microcontrollers). you can find all explanation about the naming on the part 7 of the datasheet:

STTwo32_0-1729865959266.png

For the STM32WL5MCO, is a module based on the STM32WL55JC that you can use it on standalone mode or connect it to a SOC with an external MCU that control it. More data are available on this datasheet.

For the B-WLM5-SUBG1 development board, it is based on the STM32WB5MMGH6TR.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi 

For the B-WLM5-SUBG1 development board the data sheet here:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/um3127-stm32wl5moc-connectivity-expansion-board-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Mentions a STM32WL55JC  MCU?

Did I miss somthing ? 

Easy, the B-WLM5-SUBG1 is based on the STM32WL5MOC Module. This module is based on the STM32WL55 MCU. That's why.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

Hi 

What oes the MOC module offer over the WL55 MCU?

The module advantage is that you can connect it to another SOC as a communication module. But the MCU is mainly maid to be used to run it own application that may implement or not a Communication.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32