cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from st32f1 to stm32wb

LaoMa
Associate III

Hi,

into the SMT32CubeIDE is it possible to migrate code from STM32F1xx to ST32WB families?

I mean, using the same basic code of the F103 and adding the BLE of the WB family?

Thanks for any reply

Maurizio

PS: in case, is there any migration app note?

3 REPLIES 3
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

I don’t think porting your application developed for an STM32F1 device will work as is on the STM32WB. The HAL should hide the low level differences but there are still some adaptation to perform. But in the end it is not impossible.

Your application would run on the M4 core only.

Generally speaking the most efficient ways to port between STM32 families is to create a shell or donor project on the target platform, get that working and the plumbing for some diagnostic output, and hard fault / error handlers, and then use a merge tool to pull over selective portions which you can test and validate.

How complex the process is depends on how cleanly you've used the HAL abstraction

There are frequently not tutorials/app-notes because ST doesn't have a lot of real-world applications, and you need to have ported a couple of things of to have a real appreciation of the process in complex situations.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LaoMa
Associate III

Thanks for replies,

It was just a question to know if exist a direct process to change the STM32 in a project.

My code is not complex, it has been ported by a Keil project into STM32CubeIDE and fully adapted at the HAL libraries.

I think that the suggestion to create a new project with the WB MCU and copy the other general SW a few at time it's the only real chance to do this!

Bye bye