cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot start debugging STM32WB55VGY6TR using ST-LINK inside the Nucleo-WB-55 board. The IDE said that failed to start the GDB server and error in initializing the ST-LINK device.

KKIM.6
Senior

I'm developing my custom board using a STM32WB55VGY6TR microcontroller and I want to use the Nucleo-WB55 developer kit as a programmer for my custom circuit board.

However, I cannot start debugging using STM32cubeIDE. The IDE said that failed to start the GDB server and error in initializing the ST-LINK device.

I agree my chip assembly could have a problem, but I feel that the chip is rigidly bound to the board. So, I am pretty sure there is no miss connection.

I connected the programming Jumper pin of Nucleo-WB55 to the STM32WB55VGY6TR below.

GND => GND of microcontroller (Vss in right-top side)

NRST = NRST of microcontroller pin with a 10k resistor, 100 nF capacitor, and Schottky diode. (the circuit is fully same with reset part of Nucleo-WB55)

SWDIO => PA13 of microcontroller that is described as "SYS_JTMS_SWDIO (no mode)" in the STM32cubeMX

SWCLK => PA14 of microcontroller that is described as "SYS_JTCK_SWCLK (no mode)" in the STM32cubeMX

SWO => PB3 of microcontroller that is described as "SYS_JTDO_SWO (no mode)" in the STM32cubeMX

VDD_MCU => VDD of microcontroller (VDD in right-top side)

In addition, I'm using external 32 MHz for HSE and 32.768 kHz for LSE with two of 10 pF capacitors in each crystal.

I'm not using SMPS, So, VDDSMPS VLXSMPS VFBSMPS is connected to the VDD and VSSSMPS is connected to the main ground.

The supply voltage/ground is 3.3 V which comes from the 3.3 V pin of the Nucleo-WB55 board.

To start programming, I used the bare program which is created by STM32cubeMX without any change after building.

Is there anything I missed to boot the microcontroller?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
8 REPLIES 8
MM..1
Chief II

IDE version ? GDB server version? On NUCLEO you disconnect local module from SW ?

KKIM.6
Senior

Thanks for reply.

I missed disconnecting local microcontroller module. How can I disconnect local module in Nucleo-WB55 board?

IDE version is 1.9.0.

GDB version is 10.5.0.202109270023

Unfortunately, I've already doing same way but I cannot start GDB server...

I'll try reassemble microcontroller but if it is still same, then it would be really confusing me.

Try show photo both board connection, And first test STMCubeProgrammer connect.

Thanks for your reply.

It was a solder problem with the microcontroller.

Now I can enter debug mode for the microcontroller.

But during debuging, the IDE said like below.

"Break at address "0x1fff5e8c" with no debug information available, or outside of program code."

Do you know what dose it means?

In the disassembly, this problem happens when starting  HAL_Init();

Seems as boot problem. Check boot pins and config.
You start system bootloader code instead app.