cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I fix STM32CubeProgrammer No STM32 Target Found after Programming Nucleo Pack MB1355C board?

dhillier
Associate II

I have an STM32WB55 Nucleo Pack and i thought i'd try out the BLE heartbeat monitor example on the MB1355C board, so i opened up the STM32CubeProgrammer, put the power selector to USB STL and could connect ok.

I Selected the hex file for the heartbeat monitor example and used the Automatic option to try to write it to the board. It said it finished writing to board N:1, connect board N:2 and hung. So i disconnected the board and plugged it back in and i noticed not much was happening, and i couldn't see the bluetooth device using my phone, so i tried to connect it back to the STM32CubeProgrammer and i noticed it would no longer connect.

If i open the cube programmer, and select "Firmware Upgrade" no device appears. However, if i click the button that says "Open in Update Mode" the board resets, device information appears and i can upgrade the firmware.

The board still mounts like a drive and i can still drag files into the drive which magically disappear after the board is reset.

Can anyone point out where i went wrong, and how do i fix it.

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23
jmorris
Associate II

As this comes up first in google, I'd like to show how I fixed mine as none of the above worked. This is actually explained in the st-nucleo board docs in a sub note (somewhat hard to find).

1. pull BOOT0 high
  2. reset board
  3. then use the ST flash tool to erase all flash.
  4. remove the BOOT0 pullup

All fixed (at least for me).

Hi

I am using cube programmer to flash STM32H723ZG controller. I am using boot_0 pin to put the controller in boot mode. Before putting in boot mode I have application code printing out serial input at UART3 RX to TX . i.e if I send byte from serial terminal to STM PD9 pin which is UART RX, STM will echo that byte on UART TX pin PD8. PD9 and PD8 can be used to flash in UART boot mode.

On connecting with cube programmer I am getting below error message

Error: Activating device: KO. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and check the serial port configuration. Reset your device then try again...

what is wrong..? what should i do to resolve this issue.

Thanks STM32Fan and Nata!

Using the "User USB" instead of external 5V supply also works.

AColl.5
Associate

I know this is an old thread but it's also the top search result for me so I thought I'd add my experiences in the hope that they help others.

I got round the problem by setting the boot jumpers to boot in UART mode but then connecting through ST-Link as normal, downloading the image and then resetting the jumpers but this solution didn't last. The next time I tried to re-flash the unit, the problem returned.

The problem was caused by my code having this in the main loop...

HAL_PWR_EnterSLEEPMode(0, PWR_SLEEPENTRY_WFI);

I recoded that and it hasn't gone wrong since.

Cheers.

AAlzh.1
Associate III

Thanks man ! That worked 🙂

I knew that I didn't fry the board, but it got locked and don't respond to the programmer.

AAlzh.1
Associate III

Now it worked, but is it every time I have to do this ? Is there anyway to let get back to original boot setup ?

Is it so hard to read the post by @a.gajdacs​ ?

Yes, I did that, but before I did anything to the board, it used to connect directly in cubeprogrammer without pressing the reset button, then I got the problem of not responding, and I read the solution in this thread which is by pressing the reset before selecting connect.

But my question is there a way to get the board to connect without pressing reset ?

Also, it used to program directly in Arduino IDE, now it doesn't even with pressing reset or the boot0.

I want to know what bootloader was in the board which let it to program in the Arduino IDE ?

Also I did what @a.gajdacs said, which is to set it in cubeprogrammer using ST LINK. But it didn't work, I have to press the NRST before pressing connect.

It will not work, if the NRST is not connected to the ST-LINK or the ST-LINK is a clone without NRST line. And this is not an Arduino forum...