cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix "Old firmware delete failed" error while trying to firmware update?

DImre.1
Associate III

I tried to update the firmware on P-NUCLEO-WB55 devboard, but it fails with the following error:

"Error: FUS_STATE_ERR_UNKNOWN

Error:

Old Firmware delete failed"

I check in STM32CubeProgrammer, and I have V.0.0.0 version:

0693W00000Dpml4QAB.png 

I do not know why it happened, maybe a previous incorrect way of upgrade process.

Any idea how can I resolve it?

Additional info:

The dongle is ok, I could update it via USB, it has fw V1.1.2.0 version.

21 REPLIES 21
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Nothing strange regarding the option bytes.

Can you launch a FW delete command?

No, because as I wrote earlier, the error message is:

"Error: FUS_STATE_ERR_UNKNOWN

Error:

Old Firmware delete failed"

via ST-LINK. Via USB only the dongle I can see, and the command is working. At that point I'm little bit uncertain because I did not see any info regarding the need for dongle upgrade.

DImre.1
Associate III

It looks like the old firmware is damaged and cannot be recognized. One solution would be to directly flash the memory with the fw file. Ignoring the old firmware error issue.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

But The SFSA = 0xD0 which means there is a FW already and still installed on the board!!!

It is not deleted.

I assume that your board configured in USB DFU mode (with a jumper set on CN7 position (67 + the USB USER connector) is not discovered by CubeProgrammer because nSWBOOT0 = 0 while it should be set to 1 for the USB DFU mode.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

I am afraid you won’t be able to flash a recent version of the FW with an old version of FUS.

I am quite puzzled by your issue.

Could you try with CubeProgrammer version 2.8?

But The SFSA = 0xD0 which means there is a FW already and still installed on the board!!!

It is not deleted.

--> I assumed it, because I never could delete it. Looks like it is damaged.

I assume that your board configured in USB DFU mode (with a jumper set on CN7 position (67 + the USB USER connector) is not discovered by CubeProgrammer because nSWBOOT0 = 0 while it should be set to 1 for the USB DFU mode.

--> I tried it now, but the error is after trying to connect:

0693W00000DpoIEQAZ.png

I'll do and will give you feedback.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

I want to correct my statement regarding the USB configuration : the jumper must be set on position 5-7 on CN7.

Have a look at the attached document.

Don't worry, I did the same from the beginnging. 🙂

Unfortunately it failed. same result with 2.8 version.