Associate II

12 REPLIES 12
Javier1
Principal

Did you tried STM32CubeMonitor-RF?

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

I don't think there is way to check the type of wireless stack once installed as it would be located in a secure protected area which is not accessible by the application.

I would like to correct my statement above.

There is indeed a way to get conformation data on the FW currently running on the M0+ core, calling the SHCI_GetWirelessFwInfo() command.

SHCI_GetWirelessFwInfo() command reads the informations relative to the loaded wireless binary.

A description of this command is available in AN5289 chapter 4.10 Device information table. Returned information is the Wireless firmware version, the Wireless Firmware Memory required by the wireless firmware and the Wireless firmware information.

Codes are listed in the shci.h file

AKwiek
Associate II

Thanks. Is there (beside ReleaseNote.html) any application note that describes in detail characteristic and functionality of each firmware binaries and its API?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

AN5270 is explaining the API used for all projects/stacks. they are of HCI or ACI levels.

AKwiek
Associate II

Hello, what version of stack it should be used in BLE application? 

UM2550 don't describe it clearly.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Version of WB FW package or type of stack?

For the version of the package, you should use the latest one that is located here

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcu-mpu-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32cube-mcu-mpu-packages/stm32cubewb.html

the latest one is v1.13.0 with a patch v1.13.1.

For the type of stack you should use for a BLE application, you can use stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.

stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_light_fw is a light one with less features.

Other stacks are also provided depending of the system level you want to implement on the M4 core.

Please read the releases notes to get the description of each of them.

All the stacks are located under STM32Cube_FW_WB_VX.Y.Z\Projects\STM32WB_Copro_Wireless_Binaries

AKwiek
Associate II

Yes, I asked of type of BLE firmware. Now I'm using the HCILayer_fw with stm32wb55VGY on Zephyr. And I would want to know that is there more appropriate firmware. And is there (over ReleaseNotes.html) some detailed description of characteristics of particular binaries of wireless stack for this MCU?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

For the version available today, it is possible to use one the 2 stacks:

stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin

stm32wb5x_BLE_HCILayer_fw.bin                        => More appropriate as smaller

From version v1.13.2 onward, it is recommended to use one of the stacks listed below:

stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_extended_fw.bin

stm32wb5x_BLE_HCILayer_fw.bin                        => More appropriate but no extended functions

stm32wb5x_BLE_HCILayer_extended_fw.bin      => In case extended function are needed

AKwiek
Associate II

What is the _extended_fw.bin ? I can't find it in STM32WB_Copro_Wireless_Binaries.