cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLE-HID demo of STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.14.1 not working with Android 12 and 13 ?

NSAUG.1
Associate III

BLE-HID demo of STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.14.1 not working with Android 13 ?

Hello,

The BLE_Hid of demo STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.14.1 does not work with my Android 13 phone at all (services cannot be listed at all in nRFconnect)

while it only kind of works with my Android 12 one (I can list the services with nRFconnect but cannot access them with an error BLUETOOTH_PRIVILEDGED required).

- STM32CubeIDE Version: 1.12.0 Build: 14980_20230301_1550 (UTC)

- STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.14.1

- BLE stack used is stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_light_fw.bin from the same firmware package, and I have confirmed that it works using other example projects (BLE_Beacon for example)

- code is STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.14.1\Projects\P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo\Applications\BLE\BLE_Hid without any modification

- Nucleo board has no modification, and has the appropriate jumpers (tested using other BLE demos)

The serial interface of the HID demo (the menu allowing to select mouse x,y,wheel and buttons) works as expected when clicking SW1, and I can change the values in that menu.

With both phones, I can connect to the device using BLE, and bond it using the 111111 key.

HOWEVER:

When using a Samsung Galaxy S22 with Android 13, if I connect to the device using nRFConnect, the services list just never loads.

With everything else identical but on a Pixel 3a running Andoird 12, nRFconnect can list the services, but cannot access any data with the error "BLUETOOTH_PRIVILEDGED required".

Can anyone confirm what I am seeing? Is there a known fix to run this demo on Android 12 and 13 ?

Best regards,

Nicolas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Remy ISSALYS
ST Employee

Hello,

I tried BLE_Hid example available in STM32CubeWB package v1.16.0 with ST BLE Toolbox smartphone application and the example is working as expected. I tried on a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE with Android 13 and on a Samsung Galaxy A51 with Android 12. This application requires having the stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin binary flashed on the Wireless Coprocessor. Can you try with ST BLE Toolbox application?

Best Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Remy ISSALYS
ST Employee

Hello,

I tried BLE_Hid example available in STM32CubeWB package v1.16.0 with ST BLE Toolbox smartphone application and the example is working as expected. I tried on a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE with Android 13 and on a Samsung Galaxy A51 with Android 12. This application requires having the stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin binary flashed on the Wireless Coprocessor. Can you try with ST BLE Toolbox application?

Best Regards

NSAUG.1
Associate III

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time for checking, and indeed the problems were not with the demo code.

• nRFConnect v4.26.1 seems to have a problem with listing services when there is a HID Service. The service list just never loads (what I saw on Android 13), unless you go back to SCANNER then back to your device, and then the list is their but cannot be interacted with (what I saw on my tests with Android 12). I tested with my Logitec Mouse (that I suppose does not have any huge BLE bugs...) and got the same behaviour as what I saw with the Nucleo BLE-HID demo and my own device.
  • I did not use the demo properly, so I actually never generated the event I thought I was sending. For some reason I did not expect "save and exit" to be the moment the event was sent (why exit? I did not want to exit !). That one is my PEBCAK, sorry.