cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFT-LCD Display: How to prepare for custom board utilization of the display

KMew
Senior III

Hello,

I apologize if this question is broad, but I want to minimize the diagnostic time for an upcoming project.

I am currently using an STM32H7B3I-EVAL board, which has a Rocktech LCD display on it. I have successfully run firmware on the display using the TouchGFX Designer, which generates a large majority of the code for you (since you can select the specific evaluation board you have).

My next task is to design a custom board that uses the same MCU and Display as the evaluation board. This will require both a hardware verification and a firmware verification. However, if I jump straight to trying to get it to work on a custom board, it will be a massive headache to know if the hardware or firmware is the reason the board is not working. So I want to eliminate one of them.

My goal is this:

1) Write a basic firmware on an evaluation or discovery board that I can diagnose.

2) Design the hardware, using the same firmware (at most, some pinout changes, if necessary) to verify the hardware

3) Expand upon the firmware to reach the final product design

My problem lies in step 1, as I have many questions.

1) If I want to develop a firmware that will work on my custom board, would I need to "start from scratch" on a project (on the evaluation/development board) and start with a new CubeMX project, then add the necessary drivers from there? If not, what is the better way to start?

2) Does anyone know of any tutorials to help with custom board design with displays for the STM32H7 series?

3) If anyone has done this before, do you have any general tips?

4) Can you still use the TouchGFX Designer for custom boards?

Again, I apologize that these questions may be broad. I am still learning STM programming and want to make sure I'm preparing myself properly.

3 REPLIES 3
MM..1
Chief II
  1. Is more better start from scratch for custom projects.
  2. Tutorials? You choice H7 as Ferrari without driver license.
  3. On real custom designs is used 90% different LCD - touch - SDRAM - QSPI ... as on discovery
  4. Why not

For testing TouchGFX parts of code isnt board required, do it in simulator.

Hello MM,

1. Thank you for confirming that! I will do that
  2. This was less in my control, since our company is insistent on using the H7 series.
  3. To clarify, are you saying that any custom design I do will be very different as any discovery board? If so, are there any suggestions to minimize firmware alterations when going from the discovery board to a custom board?
  4. If it can be done easily, that's good! Thank you for confirming.

3 no you can copy and order perfect same ICs and use same design customized (then project for Disco will work directly on your board), but real life ...