cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TextArea inside a Container--what shows in Designer is not the same on the target or simulator

scottSD
Senior III

I see this same behavior in TouchGFX version 4.13 as well as version 4.14.

I am using a large text area and am attempting to utilize a Container to reduce the invalidated screen area to increase performance of other items being animated on the screen.

Here is my text area. I placed a box of a different color than the background in the container behind text to show the container rectangle:

0693W000003PMj0QAG.png

The blue outline is the area of the text area.

The idea here is to "reveal"only the part of the text area that I want invalidated when it changes.

However, as you can see in the screenshot of the simulator below, the text is clipped.

0693W000003PMlQQAW.png

It looks as if the text area is shifted down in the container when the program is run on the simulator.

Why is this and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

3 REPLIES 3
scottSD
Senior III

I placed a line on the screen at the bottom of the text area on the Designer for a point of reference:

0693W000003PN2bQAG.png

And when run on the simulator it is obvious that the text area is indeed shifted down so that the bottom of text is below the line:

0693W000003PN3PQAW.png

Alexandre RENOUX
Principal

Hello,

Very good question.

What is important to understand here is that the graphic library used to display elements in the Designer and the library used to run the simulator are different.

The simulator uses TouchGFX library but the Designer does not. This means that the correct display is the Simulator not the Designer. Most of the time they match but in rare cases like this one, it differs.

This is something that happens mostly with Texts. You can try with other fonts and the crop might be less, more or even absent.

Unfortunately, this is something that cannot be fixed because changing the lib used in the Designer requires a huge change in the software code since everything is based on it. In the end, the idea is to use TouchGFX library directly in the Designer to avoid these kinds of issues. But it will not come out soon.

There's no quick fix for this. You must take into account only what is displayed in the simulator because this is what you will see on your board.

Very sorry for the inconvenience

/Alexandre

@Alexandre RENOUX​ 

Thank you for your quick reply. and explanation. I figured it was something like this.

My target is different enough from what the Simulator supports so I am to the point where I rarely use the Simulator (I used the Simulator in my example above for a more clear explanation of the problem). I see this issue on my target and was hoping there was a better solution than design, test, tweak, and retest. =)