cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target error with TouchGFX Designer

FAuza.1
Associate III

I have a STM32H747I-DISCO board and I'd like to test the TouchGFX on Windows10. I designed a simple application with 2 screens and 2 buttons, and it runs ok on the simulator. But I get an error when exporting to the target.

Here is the complete error message:

Run Target
    Generate
        Done
    Generate Assets
        make -f simulator/gcc/Makefile assets -j8
        Converting images
        Reading ./application.config
        Done
    Post Generate
        touchgfx update_project --project-file=simulator/msvs/Application.vcxproj && touchgfx update_project --project-file=../EWARM/TouchGFX.ewp
        Done
    Compile
        make -f ../gcc/Makefile -j8
        Converting images
        Reading TouchGFX/application.config
        Linking TouchGFX/build/bin/target.elf
        Producing additional output formats...
          target.hex   - Combined internal+external hex
          intflash.elf - Internal flash, elf debug
          intflash.hex - Internal flash, hex
          extflash.bin - External flash, binary
        Done
    Flash
        make -f ../gcc/Makefile -j8 flash
        Converting images
        Reading TouchGFX/application.config
        Linking TouchGFX/build/bin/target.elf
        Producing additional output formats...
          target.hex   - Combined internal+external hex
          intflash.elf - Internal flash, elf debug
          intflash.hex - Internal flash, hex
          extflash.bin - External flash, binary
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                               STM32CubeProgrammer v2.7.0                  
              -------------------------------------------------------------------

ST-LINK SN  : 003400373037510339373532
        ST-LINK FW  : V3J7M2
        Board       : STM32H747I-DISCO
        Voltage     : 3.22V
        Error: No STM32 target found!
        2nd connect tentative with a lower frequency (8MHz)
        ST-LINK SN  : 003400373037510339373532
        ST-LINK FW  : V3J7M2
        Board       : STM32H747I-DISCO
        Voltage     : 3.22V
        Error: No STM32 target found!
        make[1]: *** [_extflash_] Error 1
        c:/TouchGFXProjects/DemoApp/gcc/include/flash_sections_int_ext.mk:2: recipe for target '_extflash_' failed
        ../gcc/Makefile:50: recipe for target 'flash' failed
        make: *** [flash] Error 2
        Failed
    Failed

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!

10 REPLIES 10
FAuza.1
Associate III

When I try to connect to the board using STM32 CubeProgrammer, I get the following message:

15:40:29 : ST-LINK SN  : 003400373037510339373532
  15:40:29 : ST-LINK FW  : V3J7M2
  15:40:29 : Board       : STM32H747I-DISCO
  15:40:29 : Voltage     : 3.22V
  15:40:29 : No STM32 target found!
  15:40:29 : ST-LINK SN  : 003400373037510339373532
  15:40:29 : ST-LINK FW  : V3J7M2
  15:40:29 : Board       : STM32H747I-DISCO
  15:40:29 : Voltage     : 3.22V
  15:40:29 : Error: No STM32 target found!

Hi,

Could you check on the back of your board if the power jumper (cant remember the real name) is put on STLINK or on something else ? From this error message this would be my best guess, so if it is not on STLINK, put it on it.

/Romain

FAuza.1
Associate III

Hi Romain, thanks for your help

I had to unscrew the board from its presenter, but yes the jumper is on 'STlk' (it's JP6: correct ?)

Actually, I was told that the board fell before someone gave it to me, so maybe it's broken somehow.

When it's plugged to my computer, I can see it as drive D: DIS_H747XI and see the files in it.

RStic.1
Associate

Using Nucleo-144 STM32H745 I get same results. This board was working with IAR sample project, then CubeIDE requested I do a FW update. After the FW update, CubeIDE and IAR both give same error message "No device found on target".

No jumpers were changed, STLINK is still selected, STLink still shows up in device manager.

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.8.0

Copyright (c) 2020, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:

Persistent Mode      : Disabled

Logging Level       : 1

Listen Port Number     : 61234

Status Refresh Delay    : 15s

Verbose Mode        : Disabled

SWD Debug         : Enabled

InitWhile         : Enabled

Target no device found

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: No device found on target.

Is it possible revert the FW update ?

Sounds weird that this issue would be linked to the FW update (but you never know). You can downgrade the FW package by opening the ioc file of the project (in STM32CubeIDE, or directly with STM32CubeMX). Go to the "Project Manager" tab, then in the "Mcu and Firmware Package" section uncheck the "Use Default Firwmware Location" and navigate instead to another FW package folder. Generate code again after that.

/Romain

I just realized you maybe meant that it was a Firmware upgrade by STM32CubeProgrammer on the board from STM32CubeIDE, which then I don't know :downcast_face_with_sweat:...

Could you still try what I said in the other message just in case ?

Arh :crying_face: that was my best guess (usually the jumper is not set to STLINK when out of the box). To be honest the fact that it fell is never a good sign with those kits but if you are still able to recognize it then it might not be the problem (still "might").

Using STM32CubeProgrammer are you able to connect to the board or do you hit directly "No debug prob" ? If you can connect, could you try to update the firmware to V3J7M3 ? This is the version I have, you have V3J7M2 so this could be something to look into.

Now to be honest this is not a TouchGFX issue, so I am not the right person to help you in the best way with this. I would advise to add in the Tags section of this post "STM32CubeProgrammer", maybe also "STM32CubeIDE" and the corresponding board and firmware package (if the tags exist) in order to have more visibility towards people with more knowledge on this than I do.

/Romain

No, unfortunately, when I use STM32CubeProgrammer, I cannot connect to the board.

FAuza.1
Associate III

Romain, if you happen to read this : I had it work!

First I tried another board, which was known to work ok.

I updated the firmware as you said to version V3J7M3, closed the CubeProgrammer and run the TouchGFXDesigner. Then it worked.

But the other board would never connect, even with the upgraded firmware. I guess it was a problem with this board.

Thanks for your help!=)