cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGB image compression memory fault

PontusL
Associate III

Hey,

I am trying out the new RGB image compression in TGFX 4.24 and are having some issues. My program compiles fine without any compression.

I have only turned the feature on in TouchGFX Designer and generated code. Is there something else I am missing? It does no seem like it after reading the documentation.

This is the resulting stack

MemManage_Handler() at stm32h7xx_it.c:112 0x2dc
<signal handler called>() at 0xffffffed
touchgfx::LCD32bpp::DecompressorRGB_QOI::blitCopyARGB8888() at 0x9015c560
touchgfx::LCD32bpp::drawPartialBitmap() at 0x9015d9da
touchgfx::Image::draw() at Image.cpp:37 0x90027090
touchgfx::Screen::JSMOC() at 0x901556ec
touchgfx::Screen::JSMOC() at 0x90155696
touchgfx::Screen::JSMOC() at 0x90155696

Edit: I am using external flash

5 REPLIES 5
GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @PontusL ,

Can you specify what hardware you are using?

Have you also updated the TouchGFX Generator pack in STM32CubeMX?

Can you give us steps to reproduce or send your project?

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Software engineer at ST (TouchGFX)

Hello,

I am using custom hardware based around an STM32H750 with sdram for the framebuffer and external flash memory for the code and assets. LCD-LTDC display and I have ChromART enabled. I use FreeRTOS.

Been running 4.22.0 for a couple of months without issues. Updated to 4.24.0 when launched and have not had any issues here either.

Yes, I have updated the TouchGFX Generator pack in STM32CubeMX.

The steps to reproduce the issue is simply to:

1. Go into TouchGFX Designer and go to Images
  2. Change the image format, for any image, to ARGB888 and compression to Yes (I have Default as None for RGB Compression in Default Image Configuration)
  3. Generate new code in the designer and compile. 
  4. The screen will freeze and the program will result in the memory fault handler when the GUI tries to show the image on the screen. Seems to be related to 
    touchgfx::LCD32bpp::DecompressorRGB_QOI::blitCopyARGB8888()

//Pontus

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @PontusL ,

I have used the STM32H750B-DK board to reproduce your steps:

1. Create a new project from TouchGFX Designer, add an image, set the image asset to one of the free assets from the TouchGFX Stock. I have also added a simple white box and made it move 1 pixel down every tick until it reach the bottom of the screen in which case it goes back to the top of the screen.
  2. Change the image format to ARGB8888, set compression to "Yes".
  3. Generate code and flash on target.
  4. I see the image properly and the box keeps on going down forever, it never crashes.

I think the issue comes from  your custom board setup which is hard for me to debug.

Maybe you ca try to go deeper into understanding which functions makes your GUI crash, which line of blitCopyARGB8888(), which function calls blitCopyARGB8888(), etc.

Also, does your image have transparency?

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

Hello Gaetan,

Thanks for taking the time to look into my issue.

Yes, I suspect it relates to my external flash which makes it very hard for you :). I have some more details about the function calls leading up the the crash in my first post, and I hoped it would maybe be something minor easy to spot based on this. 

The image have transparency. But I have also tried with an image without transparency, using RGB888, which results in the same behavior.  I will have a deeper look when I have time! Could possibly also try to import my project to my STM32H750B-DK to try and spot differences. 

Thanks,

Pontus

Hello @PontusL ,

I will have a deeper look when I have time! Could possibly also try to import my project to my STM32H750B-DK to try and spot differences.

I can try your GUI on my board if that can help

Maybe have a look at this post where another user also had issue with external memory and with a blitCopy function (not related to compression thought).

Do you only have your issue when compressing or does it happen on uncompressed images too?

Regards,

Gaetan Godart