cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

microcontroller with included display driver or external display driver

WPazH
Associate II

Hello everyone,

I am designing a datalogger with a touch screen and I am undecided in the selection of the method to control the screen, do you suggest me to use a screen controller with a microcontroller of the STM32Lx family series or some STM32 microcontroller that has the screen driver built-in? What could you suggest me for this project? I would like the equipment to work with a 3.7v battery and use an RTOS to manage all the firmware. I almost forgot, the screen that I will use will be of the capacitive type

Thanks for the help

3 REPLIES 3
S.Ma
Principal

Human aspect: Need segmented, alphanumeric, pixellated display ?

Power aspect : Battery operated ?

Cost aspect : Budget ?

Performance aspect : Frames per second ? How often the screen is updated ?

WPazH
Associate II

well... I will use a pixelated display, the circuit will be powered by a 3.7V @ 4700mAh battery and I think the fps are a debatable issue, basically because if I use a tft display driver it will depend on the frequency of the communication bus and the update cycles that the uC sends, but if I use an STM32 uC that has the driver incorporated, well... I wouldn't know because I don't know how the STM32 uCs with display drivers work

The resolution of the display will determine the size of the frame buffer. The L4+ parts have enough internal memory for reasonably sized ones. And ones which will drive parallel TFT or MIPI-DSI screens. They don't have an FSMC to provide for external bufferring.

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32l4-plus-series.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..