cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable External Data Reader and DMA2D (TouchGFX)

MWetter
Associate III

Hello everyone,

I encountered a problem while using TouchGFX. I want to use an external Flash which is connected via QUADSPI.

The Flash works fine (manually loading and writing some informations into the memory). Block mode, Memory Mapped mode, both do not create a problem.

But now I want to take the next step and integrate it into my custom project with TouchGFX.

I want to store the images and so on in the external Flash. I saw the function "External Data Reader" in CubeMX.

But in my project the enable option is greyed out. I don't know why.

(TouchGFX Version 4.21.3, CubeMX 6.8.0)

I "solved" the problem. If the DMA2D is disabled, I can choose the external data reader. But Why?

Chrom-ART respectively DMA2D is "nice to have".

If you could help it would be really nice.

Thank you really much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oh I see, sorry for my confusion. 
The reason you cannot use them at the same time is that DMA2D will access your flash as memory mapped, but External Data Reader is used when you have a non-memory mapped and you want to access it as a memory mapped one. So, if you want to have DMA2D enabled, you need to make your flash memory mapped and not use the External Data Reader to access it.

I hope I have answered your question

Mohammad MORADI
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @MWetter ,

There is a guide for how to enable External Flash in your custom project. You can find it here:

External Addressable Flash 

Please follow the instructions and if you still face some issues, don't hesitate to ask for help.

Good luck

Mohammad MORADI

Hi @Mohammad MORADI ESFAHANIASL,

The External Flash memory is already working perfectly fine. I can enter every mode and can read/write or both.

My question is:

Why are the External Data Reader and ChromART mutually exclusive?

MWetter_0-1704801194135.png

You can select both individually but not together.

Thank you very much.

Oh I see, sorry for my confusion. 
The reason you cannot use them at the same time is that DMA2D will access your flash as memory mapped, but External Data Reader is used when you have a non-memory mapped and you want to access it as a memory mapped one. So, if you want to have DMA2D enabled, you need to make your flash memory mapped and not use the External Data Reader to access it.

I hope I have answered your question

Mohammad MORADI
MWetter
Associate III

Hi @Mohammad MORADI ESFAHANIASL 

Thank you very much!

You're very welcome

Mohammad MORADI