cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I'm the new user in this community, so I need to know if I can find an evaluation card (with STM32) to start my project. I would like to find a card equivalent to that of TEENSY 3.6 : https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy36.html Thank you

DYann.1
Senior

I can also take this card for my project but it's not easy to find IDE, JTAG, SWD and also a community and a community to share knowledge.

19 REPLIES 19
DYann.1
Senior

Hello HBaga.1,

Thank you for your answer. I can see this information for this mod : Support of a wide choice of Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) including IAR Embedded Workbench®, MDK-ARM, and STM32CubeIDE. Do you know if STM32CubeIDE is free or paid and which is the hardware that goes with this IDE please ? Thanks

Nikita91
Lead II

STM32CubeIDE is feee: STM32CubeIDE - Integrated Development Environment for STM32 - STMicroelectronics

As it is provided by STM it supports all the devices from STMicroelectronics.

Hello Nikita91,

Thank you for your helps. Indeed the 2 cards that you mentioned correspond well to the TEENSY card. Now I need to find the peripherals (Nucleo board) so that i can work. I need sd CARD (for logging the data), I2S (to connect with hydrophone) and LCD to configure the module. Could you tell me how i can find them ? Thank you for your helps. When I go to STM32 Nucleo expansion board (in Core Product) I can see so many Ref that I don't know which card I need based on what I'm looking for.

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32-nucleo-expansion-boards.html#products

Regards

Hi Nikita91,

Very good new about the software and which probe Can I use ? ST-LINK/v2 debugger/programme (with the NUCLEO BOARD) ?

Nikita91
Lead II

32F411EDISCOVERY. Humm... Old design, and I doubt that this processor reaches 120 MHz.

All Nucleo and Disco boards from ST have a STLINK probe onboard (V2.1 ot V3). No need of a separate probe like the obsolete chineese STLINK-V2.

As you need a floating point unit and some mathematical libraries a Cortex_M4 or Cortex-M7 core will be more appropriate (The cortex-M3 is a M4 without FPU).

Most MCU have an I2S interfacace (included in the SPI interface).

What kind of LCD interface do you need?

If you need a sceen like a smart phone one, look at MCU with a LCD/FMC/MIPI interface and a graphical accelerator. This is the hard way...

For simpler displays you can use SPI or I2C or raw GPIO. Have a look at www site like Search Results for LCD - SparkFun Electronics. They provides many addon devices (LCD, SD slots...) and tutorials.

Some Disco boards have an onboard SD slot. This can be useful if you need a high throughput. Else a daughter board with a SD slot on SPI may be enough.

If you want an all in one board (MCU + screen + SD slot) go toa more advanced Disco boards. The drawback: these boards have many useless devices onboard.

In my opinion, if you are a beginner get a cheap board like NUCLEO with ST-LINK2-1 and start to evaluate the development load and the necessary capacities, experiment with the available libraries. Then you can more surely choose the final target.

Very important: choose a board with an available schematics.

Most (the older) NUCLEO boards have a STLINK-V2/1 which can be used to program other cards (a homemade card for example) with some jumpers to move. I find it very convenient to have an additional probe at hand.

The most recent boards with STLINK-V3 lacks this feature.

Now the choice is yours, it is difficult to advise you more precisely.

these boards have many useless devices onboard

Not quite sure what would qualify as "useless devices onboard" in a Discovery board

An example: The devices you don't need that use the GPIO you need.

Most Discovery boards have an Arduino compatible header with at least an SPI and I2C pins, and some of the timer pins broken out. Now if your GPIO needs is more specialized than that, then none of the dev boards (from ST or otherwise) could ever satisfy your requirement, and you have to design and build your own.

Sometimes I use a simple board like a Nucleo, with a daughter board that matches my needs. Other times I use an even simpler board (GitHub - WeActTC/MiniSTM32F4x1: MiniF4-STM32F401CEU6/STM32F411CEU6 Product Literature) on a big motherboard, and then sometimes I completely design a card.

I am probably a special case because I have rarely needed a card as advanced as the Discovery, except to handle a large screen and Ethernet which was the only useful things of this board.

Hhtgf.1
Associate

In case your coming from the Arduino global, barometer stm32 programming has a completely steep learning curve and you'll discover there is not lots of network maintained libraries. In different words here, you likely will must code the entirety by using yourself, in preference to sdcard.